Vinyl or Cloth Convertible top

Blueinfan

Mar 18, 2021
Temecula
Hi All,

What are the pros and cons of installing a Convertible top on a 1991 Mustang LX? I've given this car another 30 years and now looking at replacing the top. Seeing several videos in how to install the top and doesn't seem hard. I contacted a installer and he wants 1700 dollars to install it.

What are your thoughts on the material?

thx

Attachments

• 1991 Fox 2.PNG
    1991 Fox 2.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
  • Sponsors (?)

Vinyl is a bit more durable for weather. That’s why I asked. It’s also easier to clean.

Cloth requires a bit more care, so it’s best for a garage weekend car or one that won’t see weather or parking under a tree full of seagulls.

I don’t have personal experience with either though.

Reactions: 1 user
Vinyl is a bit more durable for weather. That’s why I asked. It’s also easier to clean.

Cloth requires a bit more care, so it’s best for a garage weekend car or one that won’t see weather or parking under a tree full of seagulls.

I don’t have personal experience with either though.
I doubt my girls will take care of the top after I'm gone so might go with Vinyl. But will have to look at the two materials to see which one looks better. Any thoughts?

The cloth top takes a bit more care, conditioners and things like knowing what soaps not to use but when taken care of they last longer and look better, the lighter colors are susceptible to staining though.

I've had black cloth on mine for just over three years. The material has held up exceptionally well. It's a Robbins Top. I've only ever cleaned it with 303 convertible top/tonneau cleaner, which works really well. Top is still dark dark black, no fading that I can tell. It's parked in my garage overnight but otherwise gets full sun everyday, it being my daily driver here in SoCal. I don't even usually park in shade when outside.

I would definitely do cloth again when it's time to replace, but I'm guessing based on current lack of wear, that won't be for at least a couple more years. The cloth top was $200-$300 more than vinyl, iirc. It's a different look, but a nice one. And I've had no issues with leaking in heavy rain due to the material - only from the usual spots where the weatherstrip or windows aren't sealing properly. I should also note, I have a headliner in my interior, helps with insulation/noise a bit. I also bought a roll of D-Mat, intending to sandwich it between the top and headliner in between each bow,, to further help with sound/heat, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Lastly, I'd probably have the shop put in an extra set of pads in the top next time. The cloth being thinner than vinyl, the bows and hardware can look a little more pronounced underneath the cloth.

My only real issue has been that the shop didn't install the window portion correctly - it's too low in relation to the opening. Instead of the seam along the top of the glass near the zipper being concealed beneath the top and closer to the bow, it's exposed out in the open. The sun constantly beating on the glass seam to the cloth plus that being a stress point has caused that seam to come apart. They've replaced it twice under warranty but not fixed the underlying issue, because they don't believe that's what's causing it. Needless to say I won't be going back to them when it's time for a replacement. I've figured out an alternative solution to sealing that seam for now, that I'm happy with. So just make sure you've found a good shop that will do what you want and you'll be set.

I've had black cloth on mine for just over three years. The material has held up exceptionally well. It's a Robbins Top. I've only ever cleaned it with 303 convertible top/tonneau cleaner, which works really well. Top is still dark dark black, no fading that I can tell. It's parked in my garage overnight but otherwise gets full sun everyday, it being my daily driver here in SoCal. I don't even usually park in shade when outside.

I would definitely do cloth again when it's time to replace, but I'm guessing based on current lack of wear, that won't be for at least a couple more years. The cloth top was $200-$300 more than vinyl, iirc. It's a different look, but a nice one. And I've had no issues with leaking in heavy rain due to the material - only from the usual spots where the weatherstrip or windows aren't sealing properly. I should also note, I have a headliner in my interior, helps with insulation/noise a bit. I also bought a roll of D-Mat, intending to sandwich it between the top and headliner in between each bow,, to further help with sound/heat, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Lastly, I'd probably have the shop put in an extra set of pads in the top next time. The cloth being thinner than vinyl, the bows and hardware can look a little more pronounced underneath the cloth.

My only real issue has been that the shop didn't install the window portion correctly - it's too low in relation to the opening. Instead of the seam along the top of the glass near the zipper being concealed beneath the top and closer to the bow, it's exposed out in the open. The sun constantly beating on the glass seam to the cloth plus that being a stress point has caused that seam to come apart. They've replaced it twice under warranty but not fixed the underlying issue, because they don't believe that's what's causing it. Needless to say I won't be going back to them when it's time for a replacement. I've figured out an alternative solution to sealing that seam for now, that I'm happy with. So just make sure you've found a good shop that will do what you want and you'll be set.
Can you posy pics please?

I'm also in Southern CA. Which shop installed it? How much did they charge you?
I had it done at Prestige Auto Upholstery in Anaheim. Close to Disneyland. Back in May 2019, for the cloth top/glass/tension cables they charged $650; $700 for labor. With tax came to about $1400. That was cheaper than a couple other quotes I got and they had excellent reviews on Yelp. I should clarify they did excellent work on installing the top, and taking care of the warranty — except for how they determined how to line up the glass window piece.

Can you posy pics please?
Here is when it was first replaced three years ago:

4603F014-8864-4895-8135-EF041C53196A.jpeg DC14211C-B61F-4A7D-8116-1970E2BE539C.jpeg

Here it is today:

055B39BC-D00F-4052-B713-C968359F1D64.jpeg 779649E4-F877-4B78-BDC3-20758DF858B1.jpeg C0323145-3A5F-4189-8160-90B27F2D0492.jpeg AB6506CD-8EC8-4CDA-B20F-EE7D8455FA13.jpeg 684DF494-81D5-4CF6-B0A4-341BADC38ED2.jpeg 58C45CB7-9C45-4294-ACD3-3AE01D08F938.jpeg

I’m certain that using the 303 product has made a huge difference in keeping it like new for this long. If you look closely you can see that the material has shrunk slightly, further exposing and exacerbating the issue with the glass seal on the back window. Even so, I’m still impressed with the durability and longevity of the material, compared to OE vinyl.

I had a used 86 vert with white vinyl several years ago. It got to the point where the vinyl completely deteriorated and tore in several places. I have no idea how old that top was though when I had it. Never replaced it on my own. It very well could’ve been the original to that car and that would’ve made it over 10 years old. It was almost impossible to clean too. After that I had a new 00 vert with a black vinyl top. I think that vinyl was superior to the Fox style, and never had any issues with it for the 4 years I had that car. And also didn’t take care of it as well as I did this cloth top on my current vert.

It comes down to personal preference, but for a little more money out of pocket, plus the sleeker/classier appearance, and how well it’s held up, I’d definitely go cloth again.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Looks great man. Thanks for sharing your experience. The top on my 87 needs to be replaced and I'm seriously considering cloth for all the reasons you mentioned. My car is garaged and not driven in the rain.