Vinyl Wraps Anyone?

84Ttop

They make new pistons every day, so why worry?
5 Year Member
Jul 2, 2009
South Jersey
Has anyone had experience with having their car wrapped in vinyl? I'm considering having this done over painting the car and just curious to see any pros or cons out there. Pictures would be much appreciated.

This is who I contacted this morning about wrapping my car: http://www.designerwraps.com/

• Sponsors (?)

my brother had a hummer he used for business and he had pretty much the entire body wrapped as a promotion for his business. it musta been on there for 8 years or more, no fading, ,tearing, etch.... he said it cost way more than a single color quality paint job but less thanpainting the body twice. some place outta Atlanta IIRC liked it but not sure I'd do a whole car, didn't see what it looked like when he removed it and sold the hummer..

I am also considering doing this. One of my exgirlfriend's dads was in the wrapping business. I honestly didn't pay much attention to his business. He used to charge about $3000 to install a wrap on a vehicle. Do you want graphics or do you just want to do it as an alternative to painting?

Kurt

I kind of have an immediate need to have the car one color finished and running in the next 3-4 weeks for something I'm working on. There is no way I can paint it correctly in that time frame. The company I've been talking to about wrapping it has a metallic green and wants to do some carbon fiber stripping and is willing to cut me a good deal on the whole project and will make it work in my time frame. I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks and see who has good or bad results.

You can see how ugly and multi color it really is here: lmao
IMG_20140109_202258398.jpg

A friend of mine started up a company that does vinyl wraps. Mod Geeks. You can check them out on Facebook. He will probably have competitive prices to get his name out there. He's outside Philly. May be worth comparing to the prices you already got. I think vinyl wrapping is really trick. Could look bad ass.

Im having my f150 done its cheaper then paint yet still expensive my trucks gonna be flat army green its gonna be about 3000 but im also having my jambs done just not the bay. Hope this helps the car should be less since the panels are smaller.

I was considering having mine done in a flat white. but the cost was fairly high but since I live in as they say the cheap wraps last about 3 years and the top quality will last about 8-10 years.
I also think plastic dipping the car is a good option.

I have 3 new work trucks i'm considering getting wrapped at the same time and they are looking to do my race car for cost of materials if I do the three work trucks. I'm meeting with they guy this afternoon to talk about layout and concept drawing for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd give it a go. If you are getting a good deal anyway. Don't bother with the plasti dip. It's cool, but it doesn't last. It chips and flakes very easily, and has to be redone frequently. The vinyl they have now is very high quality, and almost looks like paint. It's fast, and it's cheaper than a real paint job. Most of these wrap places offer a 3 year warranty on their work.

I'm considering getting the $500 3M kit online and giving it a try myself. My ex girlfriend's dad was a moron and he built a $50,000/mo business doing this stuff by watching youtube videos on how to do it. I'm not very detail oriented, but I'm sure if I took my time I could figure it out.

Kurt

^^^^ First i heard about that....there are tons of people using Plastic Dip these days the surface has to be prepped right just like painting a car....must have used cheap stuff....lol...i bought a set of rims with plastic dip on them they were hard to get it off so i dont know what you mean it chips easy and flakes off....maybe it does maybe it doesnt....i like it because you have to have a person really good doing vinyl wrap...if not it gets bubbles etc etc....plastic dip fills voids in the paint..

I've never actually done it. Just heard testimony from other people. I was considering it myself, and people I know who have done it said not to do it because they are getting a lot of flakes and chips. Especially on the wheels.

Kurt

Well its official. The car goes February 3rd to get wrapped. The concept is awesome and they have a metallic green that matches my cage. Some carbon fiber accents are going to set it off nice! He had a 2014 Land Rover they just finished that was flawless and a Porsche Carrera S4 that was being done that looked equally as trick! I'm very excited to get this car one color!

Nice! Should cut .5 from your 1/4 when you get it back together and over 170 over the line :) And the work trucks will look good too...