Vortech Install Serpentine Belt Problem - Pics Of Vortech Install Welcome

Sparky714

Oct 16, 2015
North Dakota
I'm working on my Vortech install on my "89 hatchback. The car does not have AC and I previously installed a power steering relocation kit. I have a 130amp alternator and a smog pump idler pulley installed on the Vortech brackets. I bought the belt that is recommended for the 5.0 without AC. When I put the belt on, and let the tensioner go, it rubs the water pump pulley. There's no way I could go with a shorter belt, I had a hard time getting this one on. I did put some shims under the Vortech bracket to rotate the alternator slightly, but it's still too close. I can't be the first one with this configuration, so what's the solution? Keep adding shims until I get the correct spacing?
2017-01-29 16.44.20.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

Other than to try maybe swapping the PS back, I have no idea... lol... but there are a few guys I haven't bothered in awhile-maybe they will chime in-
@84Ttop @TOOLOW91 @Noobz347

I've been doing some searching, and it looks like the best fix is to change the power steering and water pump pulley. I can find the power steering pump pulley, but the '93 cobra water pump pulley is hard to find. And the ones I have found are pretty pricey. The other one I've seen is to clock the tensioner so it can't contact the water pump pulley. I don't like the idea of taking tension off the belt though.

Last edited:
In my opinion you'll need to use a shorter belt, it may not be easy to get on but certainly won't be impossible. Changing the pulleys will not help in the least bit IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you missing a relocation or second tensioner from your Vortech install kit?

I've modified your thread title a bit. Hopefully someone will stop in with some images.

I haven't installed the tensioner for the supercharger belt yet if that's the one you mean. I have that same diagram in the instructions I have. Only difference is my car doesn't have AC and power steering pump is relocated.

I haven't installed the tensioner for the supercharger belt yet if that's the one you mean. I have that same diagram in the instructions I have. Only difference is my car doesn't have AC and power steering pump is relocated.

Did you happen to catch the note for the Renegade kit and determined if that applies to you?

I did. I don't have that kit. I think the Renegade kit comes with a larger crank pulley is the reason for that note.

Aha... I have one of these kits but I've never installed it. I removed it from a car that I picked up that came with it. One (lots) of these guys have. Someone will be along, I'm sure.

It looks to me though, that the tensioner is not set/positioned correctly. It may need to go further to the right (as you look at the face).