Vortech Supercharged Gt ... Boost Pressure Question

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for the advice. I'm new to the forum, so I hope I'm in the right place.

I am the recent purchaser of a 2003 Vortech supercharged 5 sp. GT convertible. I

purchased it from a dealer who admittedly knew little about it.

The seems solid, I started by replacing plugs, all fluids, etc. Now the fun begins.

The car had an unpiped air/air intercooler which I am piping this weekend.

I get wildly fluctuating boost numbers from my digital autometer gauge ... so I don't know what baseline is.

Sometimes the car is hard to start after it has sat for several hours, and when I do get it started it will read -14 psi vac ... and under WOT I'm reading about 2 psi boost.

Once the car is warmed up, if I stop the car and restart and it will read 0 ... then read up to 11 psi positive under WOT.

I'm not sure if it's just a crap guage, if others have seen this behavior, etc. This is my first forced induction car ... so I'm still very much in the process of educating.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

How hard are you spinning that Vortech? Unless you're really pushing it, take that inter poker off and throw it in the parts pile. It's not really doing much for you in the 6-14 psi range.

Otherwise, it sounds like your gauge is bitched. Autometer makes a nice gauge.

How hard are you spinning that Vortech? Unless you're really pushing it, take that inter poker off and throw it in the parts pile. It's not really doing much for you in the 6-14 psi range.

Otherwise, it sounds like your gauge is ****ed. Autometer makes a nice gauge.

Thanks for the advice Gearbanger ... most expensive piece of scrap ever! ... lol.

I think the car is well out of tune (which doesn't help), it's running a bit rich ... and it doesn't get up like it should.

Any advice on Bama X4 vs. a Dyno tune? I'm constantly weighing out the chance that if I sink too much money into the car at once my wife will make me sleep in it.

Thanks for the advice Gearbanger ... most expensive piece of scrap ever! ... lol.

I think the car is well out of tune (which doesn't help), it's running a bit rich ... and it doesn't get up like it should.

Any advice on Bama X4 vs. a Dyno tune? I'm constantly weighing out the chance that if I sink too much money into the car at once my wife will make me sleep in it.
BAMA tunes really only cover basic bolt on set ups. You'll want to go with a proper dyno tune. That'll get you up and running the fastest.

Do you own an OBD2 code scanner? Would be a good investment if not.

BAMA tunes really only cover basic bolt on set ups. You'll want to go with a proper dyno tune. That'll get you up and running the fastest.

Do you own an OBD2 code scanner? Would be a good investment if not.

I do have a OBD2 code scanner, it's pretty basic ... but it does the trick. I'd imaging I can use it to get an accurate boost pressure reading correct, if I subtract the MAP reading from Barometric pressure?