vortech vs 347--lets talk

bimmertech

May 3, 2005
merriam, ks
alrighty folks it is that time, i've got a vortech setup that i bought that is collecting dust as i sold the project i was using it for.

i still can put it on my other car, but i have really wanted a 347 for it.

so the delima is do i sell the vortech and buy a chp 347 longblock with vic jr's/cam/intake/lt's etc.. or do i slap the vortech on my 115k mile h/c stock longblock, put some meth inj and start building up a shortblock?

i just got my T56/fidanza flywheel in and i'm itchin to make some power.

let us discuss this issue as i am sure many other guys/gals have crossed this bridge and i would like to hear your reasons for going 1 way or the other.

oh yeah, i have all the stuff(cept for tune of course) to bolt the vortech on and get it running.

btw, i didn't mention 331/351w and i expect the same from you if you post in this thread.

• Sponsors (?)

Its more personal pref...if u already have the blower and its collecting dust use that mofo!
You will make some good power with either combo...bolting the blower on and going is the easier of the two. Do a leak down and see how your motor is feeling these days (thats what I'd base my choice on)

eades5.0 said:
Its more personal pref...if u already have the blower and its collecting dust use that mofo!
You will make some good power with either combo...bolting the blower on and going is the easier of the two. Do a leak down and see how your motor is feeling these days (thats what I'd base my choice on)

the motor is tip-top. i did a leak down before my h/c about 1k miles ago.

i know the cobra intake is gonna hold me back a little and that is fine. if i do go blower i will put a snow kit on and keep the cobra intake to hopefully get a few more miles out of the bottom end.

how much power will i lose if i put the snow kit on and never add timing? we only get 91 octane around here and i have the small chamber 165's.

Heres my $.02 since I been there done that with both things. When I had my 302 I had been planning on doing a n/a 347. For some reason I changed my plans and bought a Vortech SQ trim. I had about 98% of the job done until I got annoyed and pulled it ALL off and sold the vortech. I put the 302 bck the way it was and drove it. Then I ended up getting back into wanting a 347 again. Well long story short, thats what I have and thats my personal preference. I would definatly do the victor jr head/victor 5.0 manifold n/a 347 idea over the blower. You can do 450rwhp with this combo. Its been done before by a guy on here.

Grn92LX said:
I would definatly do the victor jr head/victor 5.0 manifold n/a 347 idea over the blower. You can do 450rwhp with this combo. Its been done before by a guy on here.

is it possible to get that 450 rwhp keeping the rpm's under 6500?

also, spinning to 6500 with regularity will i need any other expensive mods such as shaft rockers? also will a vic jr intake fit under the stock 95 hood?

i'm glad both of you have chimed in as you seem to be knowledgable on the respected combos. i guess what it would come down to is which one is gonna make 450rwhp the most reliable?

The dude I was referring to was shifting at 6400 rpm and to my knowledge made that power at or before 6500 rpm. Shouldnt need shaft rockers. hell, I spin to 6700 rpm with 3/8" rockers. The jr's come with 7/16" studs. I would do titanuim retainers if I had to do it again. I run stock retainers still. I also have little tricks like probe ultralight I beam rods with 7/16" arp cap screws, an aluminum flywheel and a light weight balancer. Lighter = better! As far as whats more reliable, a n/a car will be more reliable and less of a headache.

Check out the guys car here: http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/02/YellowFever/index.php

Ben

NA first :)

When you are maxed on your h/c/i combo like you and me ......

I see the move to a 347 kinda like

Having a stock Stang and building a gt40 combo

In both cases, parts are too small to go to the next level

I think in our case, a move to a stroked Windsor could be better than a 347 if you're talking about staying NA and you wanna make big power. Its hard to argue against big cubes and this method would allow you to have a very conservitive combo.

Power Adder :)

Hard to argue against just bolting on that blower you now got. IMHO, a power adder car requires more day to day considerations about fuel grade, hot outside temps, tune, and the like.

A lot to think about that is for sure, but then again ..............

You already got the blower ;)

Considering that .............

I'd be preparing myself to hear a little whine at idle :banana:

Grady

bimmertech said:
that is a pretty nice setup. is he still runnin 3.73's or did he swap out to 4.10's-up?

Im not sure. Probably 410 or 430 gears. When you build a combo like that you have to gear it for the powerband. I have 373's now and they are hurting me very bad. I need to move up to a 430 gear which is my next mod after I finish up my suspension. With the 373 gears now on my car, there 1000 rpm's of powerband im not able to use due to trapping way too low with the gears. Im hoping to see around 120 mph after the gears which is enough for a 10.90 if it ever hooked hard. That was my goal, a 10 second potential n/a pump gas street car. Im oh so close mph wise :)

i don't have an opinion on this but wanted to make a comment. I've been running an s trim on basically stock cobra long block for a couple years(2 sets of h/g's,1 gernaded radiator all self inflicted of course)I've been thinking and researching the last couple months about what my next combo will be when i break something. after a ton of research and reading I pretty much decided I was going to start collecting parts for a n/a 347 build. I am pretty impressed with some of the #'s a carefully thought out and assembled 347 is putting out these days. I just figured if I can run mid to low 11's n/a and not have to screw with a blower anymore why not? plus the extra torque is a bonus!

yobi1kanobi said:
slap the blower on:nice: then by the time you need more power the block will be ready for a little freshning up then bam stroked and blown

I like this guys thinking :nice:

I know a guy with a blown 347 that went mid 9's with a Novi 2000 @ 18psi. He raised the boost to 22psi and the motor blew but we wont talk about that ;)

Id be willing to bet that a naturally aspirated 347 @ 7000 RPM will last A LOT longer than a centrifugal supercharged car @ 6500 RPM.

And, honestly, I wouldn't have driveability as a concern because a H/C/I with a blower and a snow kit will leave you on the side of the road at some point with a blown HG or a busted block. It would all be a matter of time....

Joe

WhiteDevil said:
I would probably throw the blower on and keep the tune conservative. Then slowly build up a solid short block to put in there.

:stupid:

If you have the blower .... why not use it?

Then, while building your shortblock .... decide whether or not you want to build a low compression stroker or if you want to go all balls out N/A. You will know what to do from there.

I ran Paxton + H/C/I on my old '95. I loved it .... but the reliability would have been better if I had stayed N/A. That's why I have my current car ... building a N/A stroker this time.

i learned the hard way that boosted apps are more prone to problems, at least in my case.

i had a kb on my car, now it burns oil like a mofo. i think i broke a ring, might be my own fault; maybe i didn't tune it right, even though i kept adding fuel and pulling spark. but if it was the tune, you would think i'd have blown a hg, so maybe the bottom end was just not stout enough. :shrug:

now i'm selling the kb and going to a n/a stroker combo, 331 based, because i can get a forged 331 short block for $1550 shipped.

if only the kb would sell so i could get on with the build ...

then again, if it doesn't sell and i can scrape up the $$$, i might build the 331 for a blower and put the kb back on ...

ps - the reference to the 331 was for me, not suggesting it for you.

i guess you could do what i did ... bolt on the blower and break your engine, then sell it and get a stroker ... :nice: :hail2: :rolleyes:

ok, maybe not ... i say go with the 347. especially if it is a daily driver.

can you get a chp long block for what the blower would sell for?