Want to raise driver's side seat height

87lc2

Oct 16, 2005
Has anyone tried to raise their driver's side seat up? I recently bought a 90 Convertible with the leather interior. My fiance will mostly be driving the car and without the tilt wheel, the seat is very low. She basically staring at the top of the wheel. What are my options here?

• Sponsors (?)

I assume she's kinda' short. If she wasn't, seat-track extenders raise the seat up. I wonder if you can install them backwards (making them seat-track shorteners).

Go down to Big Lots or Wal Mart and buy her a seat cushion. Check the outdoor furniture or sporting goods sections first for a vinyl covered cushion, preferably one that matches your seat covers...

One option is to put an aftermarket seat in it like a Corbeau, with adapters for your existing sliders. The seat will sit 1-1.5 inches higher in my experience, which is why I took mine out and went back to a stocker.

Another option would be to make some risers for your stock seat tracks out of square tube stock, and be prepared to run longer bolts.

yea, i already suggested the cushion thing, didnt fly. I definitely want to keep the seats that are in the car. Does anyone know how much SN95 manual tracks will raise the seat, if any>?

yea, i already suggested the cushion thing, didnt fly. I definitely want to keep the seats that are in the car. Does anyone know how much SN95 manual tracks will raise the seat, if any>?

I think 99-04 seats sit higher, i don't know if it's the tracks or the seats themselves.
But i do know that tall people complain that their heads hit the roof after the install.

Your signature says triple black 90, is that right?
I know you want to keep your seats, but you could just buy the 99 and up black leather seats for the front.

yea, its the 90. it has leather seats that are absolutely mint. id hate to go buy a set of $500 seats out of a new car that arent even as nice. The leather on the older cars is very nice when taken care of.

I have heard that swapping the entire seat in makes it higher as well. I just wanted to see if the actual track was higher, or the seat.

I went with those latemodel resto seat sliders because of the opposite reason for leg room (I'm tall) and one side effect I didnt realize is the seat height is about 1" 1/2 higher which actually worked against me but may work for you. Only thing is it's not a dramitic lift. Thinking out of the box you could probably add some kind of bushing spacer between seat and slider or seat mount and floor pan to raise it, just an idea.

Yea, i was looking at them but I dont think it will be enough. I might try to find some spacers, or even just some washers at Home Depot and see if that helps.

Swap the tracks. Get power tracks from a 99-04. One of the adjustability ranges is the ability to raise the seat up.

Fox tracks on a 99-04 seat actually raise it up vs the sn95 power tracks full down. I have 04gt leather seats in my car with fox tracks. Looking for some 99-04 power tracks to lower it down a little bit.

Here's a good pic...but it's deceiving so let me explain first.

Seat on right was from my 2003 GT. Seat on left is in my Fox, with fox seat tracks installed. NOW, the seat from my GT is not lowered down all the way. See where the arrow is pointed? There's a gap between lower rail and the upper frame. This is because I'm an idiot and forgot to lower the seat down when i removed it from the car.

It will go down as low, or even lower than the seat on fox rails next to it...but, it will also go HIGHER. I'm a big guy, about 6'1", so i keep my seat fairly low. It will raise higher. The two "window switches" will raise the seat front and back up higher.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Seatcompare.jpg
    Seatcompare.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 3,510
Thanks a ton for that reply. There is a guy locally who has the power track assembly from a 96 GT. So I can use that track on my stock fox seat? Any idea on how to hook up the wiring? Would I be able to keep the stock seats power lumbar?

Another problem I see is I would have to get the switch assembly as well and adjust it once in the car and maybe just hide it under the seat. Guess thats not really a problem though, just a minor inconvenience.

I would just get box tubing and longer bolts. :shrug:

seems that swapping power tracks is a lot of money for a 1-1 1/2" gain. For under 20 dollars you can have the job done.

For the controls, I'd make a little box for them and secure it to the bottom side of the seat.

If you do this, be sure you get the switchgear. The switches unplug and stay with the seat normally (it's easier to undo a plug than to unscrew the switch plate).

There is a problem with raising the seat. Studs welded into the floor pan are used to secure the front of the seat rails. There is no safe and simple way to replace the studs without a lot of metalwork. I have a fix procedure to repair the busted out studs and cracked front seat mount. It is time consuming and requires some high strength blind rivets or some fancy welding. You would need to remove the carpet on the driver's side to gain access to do the work.

The studs that secure the front rails aren't welded in, just the nuts that secure them from underneath are ;) At least the ones I've seen. If you double-nut the top of the studs, you can crank them free and simply thread them out and replace them with bolts. This came as a welcome revealation the first time I had one break loose on me, I thought I was screwed :rlaugh:

The back ones are simply bolts IIRC.

There is a problem with raising the seat. Studs welded into the floor pan are used to secure the front of the seat rails. There is no safe and simple way to replace the studs without a lot of metalwork. I have a fix procedure to repair the busted out studs and cracked front seat mount. It is time consuming and requires some high strength blind rivets or some fancy welding. You would need to remove the carpet on the driver's side to gain access to do the work.

The studs that secure the front rails aren't welded in, just the nuts that secure them from underneath are ;) At least the ones I've seen. If you double-nut the top of the studs, you can crank them free and simply thread them out and replace them with bolts. This came as a welcome revealation the first time I had one break loose on me, I thought I was screwed :rlaugh:

The back ones are simply bolts IIRC.

On the previous 89GT I had, the studs were welded to a washer that that was in turn welded to the U channel that the seat rails sit on. The washer cracked through the thin steel and was hanging on by one small strip of metal.

This could be one of those Ford things that they changed from one model year to another.:shrug: