Want to turbo a cobra, which year to go with? 94-98

vladasap

Apr 26, 2006
nyc, ny
Hey guys,

its been a long time that ive been out of the mustang scene after selling my HCI'd 95 GT.

I am now finally able to get back into the game and I plan to do what i always wanted, put together a DAILY DRIVER turbo SN95 Cobra.

I now have some questions...what year Cobra do i go with and more importantly, WHY?

Once again, this HAS to be a daily driver so i understand that my power will be limited to make it reliable so i guess right around 400-420 rwhp is the goal. I plan to keep the internals BONE stock. Not even remove the manifold, nothing at all! Stock intake, heads and cam(s)...

1st - 5.0 or 4.6?

2nd - Which will handle more power safely?

3rd - Which will be more street friendly with the boost?

4th - is the 96-98 considerably easier/cheaper to tune?

5th - whats the deal with the 98 cobra and the return style fuel system? Do i want that or not with forced induction?

PLEASE help and share your thoughts/opinions and knowledge with me and help me do build an SN95 right from the get-go!

Thanks and i have to admit that i am SOOOOO excited to be back on StangNet :nice::nice:

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly i would not go with 1996-1998 though i do have that body style now. I personally would go with a 99 cobra. I will be going with a 99 or a 2001 cobra but the reasons would be as followed
1. IRS (better for daily driving and for on road manners after some work)
2. Teksid block (yes i know that they are in the 96-98's as well)
3. Traction control

If it must be a SN95 i would go with a 98 because it will be the last of the SN95's and therefore has a cool factor.

If you stay N/A and get 400 horsepower to the wheels i think it would be good to dig into the block...you may need to do a port and polish on the heads or intake. A freer flowing headers and exhaust will help too. With a turbo the 4.6 it will handle 450 and about 8 psi without modifications but you should get bigger injectors and pump to keep it safe. You better have 5-6 grand for a good turbo kit.

The 99 cobra brought 320 to the table stock (if it got the fix) which is why i recommend it for a daily driver.
I know most will disagree but if it must be a SN95 go with a 98.