warming up car.....

sacrstang

Mar 30, 2005
This morning I go to warm up my car and start it up and let it warm and all of a sudden while in idle I hear a rattling/squeaking sound coming from the engine. I have been pretty light on the engine. I only have 2500 miles on her. It went away but this noise I have only heard on older cars while idling. An oil change is coming up so I guess i'm gonna have to point the noise out to the service dept when I go in. It may be the belts that is my thought I did not have time to play with it.

• Sponsors (?)

sacrstang said:
This morning I go to warm up my car and start it up and let it warm and all of a sudden while in idle I hear a rattling/squeaking sound coming from the engine. I have been pretty light on the engine. I only have 2500 miles on her. It went away but this noise I have only heard on older cars while idling. An oil change is coming up so I guess i'm gonna have to point the noise out to the service dept when I go in. It may be the belts that is my thought I did not have time to play with it.

Sounds like you may have some loose bolts on the bellhousing or elsewhere...Dealer bound you are says Yoda.

-Dan

I took the car in and just my luck the noise didn't come back. So the service guy told me to keep my eye out and if it does it again I can bring it in and they will keep it overnight and start it the next morning. I did get my first oil change done. :)

Sounds like you are describing the noisey idler pulley that every modular Ford engine has. Was it a squeeky ratchety kinda sound? And did it change with engine RPM? If so, I can nearly garauntee it is the idler pulley. Mine goes away after probably 3-5 minutes. Its no big deal, just something you gotta live with.