warranty voided?

oxfordgt

Apr 30, 2006
Clarksville, TN
My warrenty has just recently been voided be a ford dealer in TN. They said the reason is because of the headers and intake. Well after alittle research I found out that they can not do that without proving that the aftermarket parts caused the problems. I am in Iraq right now and dropped my car at the dealer while I was on leave because of a very bad oil consumption problem and a loud ticking. I can not fight this from here but my dad is going to try for me. I will be home in about a month and if this is not resolved I will be tearing that dealer a new one.

For any of you that are having the same problem or are affraid to bring your car to the dealer because of aftermarket parts click the link below.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

• Sponsors (?)

I have heard that mac long tubes cause oil consumption but not 4 qts in 4 days. It is the #8 cyl valve seal that is bad and it is letting in so much oil it fouls out the plug. The ticking sound is coming from the front cover and not the headers I used a stethiscope to listen to it. Im pretty sure its the timing chain guied tentioners went south due to loss in oil pressure. I did re torque the header bolts just to make sure.

Unfortunately, ford may be right on this one. The problems you are seeing could have easily been caused by debris in the headers being sucked back through the egr valve. That doesn't mean they can void your entire warranty. If your door locks quit working, or some other non-related part fails, they still have to cover it. Its just a car, don't stress about it. Do what you gotta do over there, and deal with it when you get back. Good luck.

I also knew about the slag going back up through the egr. I guess is a good thing i got rid of the egr when i installed the headers. I am 99% sure that no aftermarket part caused this it happened cause it sat for 8 months and ford uses crappy valve seals which are known to leak.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Tell me exactly why this is a "Mac" specific problem. Shouldn't all long tube headers suffer the same fate?

It was a quality issue with them not cleaning out the headers, allowing slag, and/or pieces of the ceramic coating to go either through the egr, or possibly sucked back in through the exhaust vavle.

oxfordgt said:
I also knew about the slag going back up through the egr. I guess is a good thing i got rid of the egr when i installed the headers. I am 99% sure that no aftermarket part caused this it happened cause it sat for 8 months and ford uses crappy valve seals which are known to leak.

It may very well be fords fault, but the problem is, you'd have to shell out BIG money in legal fees to fight it, and even then, it would be very diffucult, because for every scenerio you come up with it is very easy to counter it with a reason your parts or installation may have caused it.

Can someone help me out. The lady told my wife that it says in the warrenty that if any aftermarket parts are installed it voids the warrenty. Is this true my wife cant find my copy and Im in Iraq. If someone has a their copy can you let me know. thanks

Yeah I have read that, alot of legal stuff i dont understand:shrug: . I get the basic Idea tho they have to prove that the aftermarket cause the damage. What I'm worried about now is if it actually says that in the warrenty about aftermarket parts. I'm wondering if they just think they can get over on my wife cause shes a girl.

oxfordgt said:
Yeah I have read that, alot of legal stuff i dont understand:shrug: . I get the basic Idea tho they have to prove that the aftermarket cause the damage. What I'm worried about now is if it actually says that in the warrenty about aftermarket parts. I'm wondering if they just think they can get over on my wife cause shes a girl.

I believe all it says, is

Not covered by the warranty:

”Damage Caused by Alteration or Modification
* alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, or components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Form Motor Company.

I still believe you are in a very gray area, and will have a hard time fighting it though, because your mods could have caused the problem. Nobody know until it is torn down. But if they are refusing to even check, I'd contact your JAG office. Worse case you'd end up having to pay for the tear down labor also.