Washington State Front License plate

rabbit 16v

Apr 2, 2005
seattle
I know I am new. I just wanted to let you guys know about this thing that I have been working on. I have been going through many car oriented sites that pertain the PNW and have tried to isolate the ones that are targeted towards Washington State residents. Anyway, we currently are attempting to get enough signatures on our petition in order to get the no front plate law on the ballot (AKA I-908). Any help you guys could offer would be great. Please remember that ONLY Washington State REGISTERED voters can sign. Not registered? Get some at http://www.secstate.wa.gov/elections/pdf/VoterForm_20040803.pdf

The full thread is here http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1807521&page=1

I recommend reading the first page and the last two pages. I have forms at my shop that anyone can come pick up (as long as you plan to get sigs ;) )

feel free to ask any q's

regards,

Chris DeLong
www.finetuningperformance.com

• Sponsors (?)

Petition? I don't need no stinking petition! I have'nt had a front license plate for the past 7 months, and I have'nt been pulled over. Even if I do, it aint going on. But that would be a nice thing to get passed. :D

damn about time opfully this law will pass,it pisses me off that yuppies can drive around in there bmw with no front plate and not get harrased about it but soon as the police see a fox body stang with out one they hit the light and harass you for it.every time i drove my stang without a front plate i got pulled over (ie 6 diffrent times),and you also cant put it in your windsheild :mad:

So? Are you guys willing to sign it? It needs 240,000 singatures just to get on the ballot. Then it still needs to be voted for.

I have had my fair share of no front plate tickets and I am done with it. Just had my front bumper painted and there is no way in Hell I am going to drill holes in it.

Thanks for posting this. I've been meaning to draft up a thread with all the info I found on other forums.

I have no way to print these out but will surely sign one when I see it. Perhaps we could setup a location to pick up a batch of these for people to carry around and perhaps drop off at local speed shops for a bit.

Heck, even standing downtown by Westlake Center looking for sigs would rack up quite a few ...

Well, so far, I have them at my shop right now if anyone would like to sign or pick some petitions up in order to get others to sign. There will be more locations around the state that will have them at their businesses. I am also working on a BBQ GTG in the next month (it will be VW oriented, but that doesnt mean you cant come by and hang out or sign). I am at the shop Mon-Fri 930-5pm. The number is 206.522.5503. LMK if any of you would like to pick some up. I have about 150 that I can hand out if you would like to collect sigs.

stock50LX said:
What about the new law creating the California emissions standards for WA? That law might be a little more significant for enthusiasts.

From what I understand, this only pertains to new car emissions. This is still bad though. Someone came to my door asking me to sign and I promptly told them what I thought of emissions.

As for the plate petition...If this comes around here I'll sign it in a heartbeat ... I don't think you'll have a problem getting it done. :nice:

89MustangGX said:
From what I understand, this only pertains to new car emissions. This is still bad though. Someone came to my door asking me to sign and I promptly told them what I thought of emissions.

As for the plate petition...If this comes around here I'll sign it in a heartbeat ... I don't think you'll have a problem getting it done. :nice:
i got pulled over promptly in the jetta already...

viperos said:
Tarch... first off, I'm not too supprised :D but why? no licence plate? why post here?

-and, why do we have to have the front plate anyway? what's the logic behind it...
no front license plate... the bracket was broken and it wouldn't stay lol

so now it's on zip ties

the whole logic is that they can gun you down whenever they need to... the license plate is the most reflective piece you have on your car

tarch said:
the whole logic is that they can gun you down whenever they need to... the license plate is the most reflective piece you have on your car

Actually, you can get a laser read on a car with our without a plate. All of those tricks...tinted cover on the plate, a cd hanging from the mirror, etc. don't work either. Mythbusters...love that show...did a thing on it a while back and could'n't find anything to beat the laser. They didn't try a jammer though.

As for the front plate requirement, it was around long before the laser ever came on the market. Who knows why its on the books since there's no good reason for the law. If the petition comes my way, I'll sign. :flag:

well, I know it's illegal for a woman to take more than 3 steps backward in succession somewhere local, like Renton I think (but smaller city)... who knows why these crappy laws are still on the books...

-or, it's illegal to kick a can more than 5 times, it's considered illegal transportation of litter :rlaugh: (little simpsons reference for those fans out there :D )

89MustangGX said:

I didn't know how this law was going to manifest itself. I hope you are correct. If they maintain dispensation for "rural" areas, we should be fine. If they use the spot-check technique as done in Cali... we are in trouble. The law passed though.