Water filling up sparkplug hole ????

Fryedclutch

Aug 31, 2005
sooo yeah here is my issue ive been looking around and cant figure out whats wrong
first off i have a 99 mustang gt
one day i was driving it and it started to run terrible and threw a code pulled it and there was a #6 and #7 misfire so i went to pull the plugs and the wells where the spark plugs are were partially filled with water noticed that the intake was cracked so i took it in to get the intake replaced under the recall and brought it back home cause it was still runnin bad and changed the spark plugs then it ran grteat for 5 mins shut it off and started to do the same thing again pulled the coils and sure enough there was more water in there so what could be wrong here im kinda lost as this SOHC stuff is new to me ima pushrod guy at heart lol
but any help would be greatly apreciated and sorry for the book
and thank you in advance for any help
sean

• Sponsors (?)

Be careful about running the car with water in there. If the car is equiped with coil packs they will short out if the plug is immersed in water. They are $100 each. I ruined 3 in my lightning. I don't know what the ignition set up is in a 99.

SLY GT said:
wuold you care to explain why:shrug:

When you drain the coolent and remove the intake, there will still be a bit of coolent left in the intake and when the intake is removed the left over coolent can leak into the recessed plugs holes. They "should" have taken care so that didn't happen and if it did, they also "should" have dried everything out.

QDRHRSE said:
Be careful about running the car with water in there. If the car is equiped with coil packs they will short out if the plug is immersed in water. They are $100 each. I ruined 3 in my lightning. I don't know what the ignition set up is in a 99.
The 99's will have the "coil-on-plug" and yip, they are expensive.

SLY GT said:
would you care to explain why:shrug:

when you put the radiator hose back on sometimes you spill a little undrained coolant out of it. some of this coolant and undrained coolant from under the intake. this coolant will make it's way over to the spark plug holes.

if you had such a bad headgasket problem that coolant was wicking up thru the threaded spark plugs, your car would not even crank over. you would bend a valve and or hydrolock it.

so this is minor. just clean the coolant out and retest/.

svttech76 said:
when you put the radiator hose back on sometimes you spill a little undrained coolant out of it. some of this coolant and undrained coolant from under the intake. this coolant will make it's way over to the spark plug holes.

if you had such a bad headgasket problem that coolant was wicking up thru the threaded spark plugs, your car would not even crank over. you would bend a valve and or hydrolock it.

so this is minor. just clean the coolant out and retest/.

:nice:

WOOOT first post and already got an award :lol:

but anyway thank you all for your replies.

so even though that i already pulled the plugs once drained and dried everything
,then ran the car and the holes filled again.
you still think its just some leftover coolant from the intake swap

ifso thats great cause i really dont wanna deal with anything more intense
putting headers on is enough for me lol

ive actually already purchased new coils that i will be putting in those this time around so hopefully everything will work out

and thank you all again
Sean (working on punctuation)

Fryedclutch said:
WOOOT first post and already got an award :lol:

but anyway thank you all for your replies.

so even though that i already pulled the plugs once drained and dried everything
,then ran the car and the holes filled again.
you still think its just some leftover coolant from the intake swap

ifso thats great cause i really dont wanna deal with anything more intense
putting headers on is enough for me lol

and thank you all again
Sean (working on punctuation)
Did you do this before they changed the intake or after?

i replaced the plugs after they changed the intake
then it drove awesome for about 5 mins
i shut it off then started it up to drive it somewhere ten mins later
and when i got outta my driveway it started to miss again
then a few days later took the coils off and the holes were filled with water again

Fryedclutch said:
i replaced the plugs after they changed the intake
then it drove awesome for about 5 mins
i shut it off then started it up to drive it somewhere ten mins later
and when i got outta my driveway it started to miss again
then a few days later took the coils off and the holes were filled with water again

If it does it again, take it back to the dealer, but hopefuly it'll be OK now.

thanks for the suggestion. i started a thread a while back about it. there were some gt having the problem. mine did happen after head swap pass side only. it seems to be worse when i get on the car hard.

the others think it could be the little rubber parts under the bolts in the valve cover:shrug: i figure it ok till next year when i do the built engine.