Weird Electrical Problem

craig gaines

Founding Member
Jul 23, 1998
DuQuoin, Illinois
To begin, my car started fine a week ago. While messing around trying to decide if my new monte carlo bar will fit, I accidentally grounded out the starter solenoid and it sparked. An electric fan I had wired up turned on!? Then shut off. When I would open the door, the fan would come on for a little bit. I completely removed the fan and now when I try to start the car the solenoid clicks and I lose all power. No lights, horn nothing. Now if I leave it alone for a while like magic the power comes back on, but when I try to start it again its the same, click, lose all power. Brand new battery and solenoid. Looks like all fuses are not blown. Anybody have any idea where to check?

• Sponsors (?)

The new solenoids do not seem to hold up as well as the old ones do . I have taken old ones from a wrecking yard and cleaned them up and they still outlast a new one. I have one from a 69 Mustang on my 35 ford pick up and it still works great . Nothing more enjoyable than having one of those new ones stick when you hit the key switch.

Ok, so I took my starter wire off the solenoid after all my power magically came back on, I then tried starting without it on and the solenoid clicks just fine. Never lost power. What in the starter would cause it to lose power and stay lost and then just come back on?

You know the wire that feeds power to the fusebox from the solenoid? It was showing continuity to ground when my car goes into this power down state. Being I shorted the solenoid I wonder if I fried something inside. I unplugged the fuse box inside from the harness to the engine and the continuity stopped. When I checked the 12v main feed to the key switch, with the key switch removed, it shows to ground. This is not right is it? Im hoping im closing in on the culprit.