Weird noise coming from under the hood

CKYlndSpd21

Aug 4, 2004
So last night I hop in my car to drive home and I start driving and I start hearing this weird sort of like high pitched whining noise coming from the engine. So I keep driving home and it keeps continuing. I park it at home and go to drive it today and its still doing it. It does it at idle but then if i tap the gas a little it goes away until it falls back to idle. When driving it will do it at a constant rpm.

I stuck my head under the hood and I cant tell from where its coming from either. I just did a 3g install and it worked great no problems or nothing but I cant tell if its coming from the alt or the water pump area.

• Sponsors (?)

Double check the alignment of all the pulleys. If you pop the belt off, you can spin each accessory by hand. It wont be fast enough to recreate the noise, but you might notice drag or a sound of some sort (I'm specifically thinking of the AIR Pump and the tensioner pulley).

Good luck.

Alright thanks, also when I did my 3g install I reused my stock belt. Is that okay with the tensioner? The belt is pretty tight my old alt got a bad bearing and someone said it was because my belt was too tight. Is that true, could that becausing the noise.

Oh yeah last night I took her for a spin and the noise was gone. I dont know how or why.

Its not the throw out bearing. I just replaced mine with the steel one. Made a similar noise just from the motor and the noise varies threw out the rpm range. But aft 3k it stops.