Welding the TQ Boxes on a Fox Mustang

SAY GO

Apr 19, 2005
Can someone please point me out all of the the things to weld on the TQ boxes on my car? i havent even looked at it, and have heard its a ***** once there blown out, so i want to take care of it now before i get to many haed launches on the new tires, so can someone please point out everything i should weld or steel plate under my car? its at the shop right now so unfortunately i cant go out and look at it, a diagram would be greatly appreciated :D

• Sponsors (?)

I was reading an article in an old MM&FF today that had a picture of the torque boxes, and it mentioned one option as welding all the seams along the whole thing, as they're only tack-welded, or something like the Battale Boxes that weld over the existing ones, but if recall correctly, require some fabricating and/or cutting/welding from inside the car too...

me too... From what I understand, it's pretty straightforward, however the picture I saw had the gas tank and the suspenion and rear axle gone, so I'm not sure if u can do it (easily) with those things in the car...

Kewl... take your digital camera with you and post pics of what all you had to do in order to weld the seams. Let us know what all you had to disconnect and move out of the way too.

Good Luck!

Welding up the seams fully requires the lower arms be removed, which will require dropping the mufflers and back out of the way, and it makes it much easier if the rear is removed to weld the upper mounts.

As far as inside goes you will need to remove the bac seat, pull the carpet back and be very carefully when welding the seam sealer doesn't catch fire.

Almost all the metal under the car is galvanized, do not breathe it in. If you do not know how to weld it will be instresting for you, and it will splatter a lot.

For installation of a re enforcement kit you can install them with the lower control arms in place, the uppers need to be removed from the body side. Check the bushings in the rear end housing while you are at it, easier to change while it is all apart.

I install one of my lower kits first to make sure the box is straight, then weld the seams...if you weld them with the boxes crooked it will cause issues.