What 351w stroker do you like or recomend?

deion82

Founding Member
Sep 14, 2002
minnesota
Well i'm putting together either a 4.060 with a 6" rod and 4" stroke. or 4.060 bore with 6.2" rod and 3.85" stroke. The probe srs pistons I have will work with either combo. This will be my daily driver that will see ocassional racing on the weekend. What would the cubic inches be of the two combo's? Also what heads would you guys recomend? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

why does the bore have to be 4.060? If it were me, I would always try to keep as much meat as possible around the cylinders for strength sake. Whether its a 302 based or 351 base, Id keep it stock bore.

With a 4.060 bore, 4inch stroke, 9.2 deck height. Youll have approx 414 cubic inches with a 65 cc head.

With the 3.85 stroke, you'll have approx 399 cubic inches with the same head and 9.5-1 comp ratio.

I used this, it may help with your combo.-http://www.appletreeauto.com/engcalc.htm

Most 351 stroker guys are using thr 408 stroker kit. You can go as big as a 427 with a stock 351 ford production block, but that would be more raced focused. Id go with a 408 if it were me. It would HAVE to be forced induction, cuz once youve experienced it, you cant go back to N/A. Id go all out with some AFR 225s.....but thats just my look on things.Good luck

Uh, the head has nothing to do with the cubic inches, just the compression. Just a thought in case you are concerned about price, but a 392 can be made with regular 302 pistons and stock 351 rods. I was looking into that because it wouldnt need aftermarket pistons, and even if you did aftermarket 302 pistons they are still cheaper than stroker pistons.And being a 351 you dont need a forged crank because they are so large. So the most you'd have to spend is $1400 for a short block. If price isnt a problem then Id go with the 408.

Thanks for the info. The block I have had a lot of miles on it so I need to bore to clean it up. A friend had the .060 probe srs stroker pistons. To good of a deal to pass up. That and I run nitrous so I want a good rotating assembly in there. I did go to my local machine shop and they said a .060 351w block is no big deal. Still a lot of metal there.

I like the SCAT 4340 cranks and rods and the new Eagle neutral balance cranks are alsp pretty nice.

Contact Brian Adams [email protected] tell him Rick sent ya, just give him the Probe pt# if you have it so he cn match all the other components.

At .060 I'd have the block sonic check, especially since your going to pump some juice through it. (.060 is fairly big on most stock 351W blocks, the later the year the worse)

If you are going big cube stroker I would go AFR205 or AFR225 unless you have to pass emissons, then you are limited to a AFR185, TFS, or Vic Jr. I'd run a Super Victor manifold and atleast a 1.875" header.

sirsureshot39 said:
YES! Even if N/A makes 600fwhp....IMAGINE that with 14.7 psi added...that equates to 1200fwhp....
WHOA......can you say "NO TRACTION"? :D

deion82, if I were you I'd go with a 392 stroker since this is gonna be your daily driver. Don't get me wrong, I like the thought of a 408 but its just not something I would feel comfortable driving daily. I plan to build one one day but it'll be a weekend toy to play with. I think a 392 w/ a nice shot of juice would be lots of fun though....yet, it'll still be pretty reliable.

Why not 408, the difference between the 408 and 392 is nothing in terms of breakage, wear, etc...

I go as large as you can, a 408 can be plenty streetable and make 600hp.