Brakes What 5 lug conversion do I have??

Gnfanatic

5 Year Member
Sep 27, 2018
Long Island, NY
Hey guys, I am new to the Ford scene and purchses this 5 lug kit from a guy about 2 years ago. It is new but do not know what version it would be? I am not sure if this color is actual paint and what are those wheels at the end front of my axles near the studs and flange? I am plannning to install this soon and so any tips would be much appreciated. The front lower control arms are original, I will probably replace the bushings and bj. I also have new rotors with it and 2 spacers for the upper bj's I believe

Attachments

• 5lug.jpg
    5lug.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 5lug1.jpg
    5lug1.jpg
    479.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Sponsors (?)

99-04 GT/V6 brakes. Looks like 96+ spindles, and if the axles are from the same car they won’t work for you. You’ll need to measure the lengyt to be sure. You’ll want 94-98 axles to use that setup as is, but measure the flange to tip lenght.

You’ll want a 93 cobra 1” bore MC with that setup.

Thanks Mike, decent setup? I am not building a slalom race car just a nice street car. The cobra Booster is coming and I will order a MC as well. What is with the wheel at the end of the axle that has teeth? What is it for?

The wheels at the end of the axles are tone wheels for ABS. Front calipers are 99-04 dual piston PBR's

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
94-98 SN95 axles will be 29 31/32" long. These are what you need to run that setup with the axle brackets you have

99-04 axles will be 30 11/16" long. You can used these. Too long.

Now, with aftermarket brackets, you can pull the wheels in to stock drum brake offset and run 9" or wider wheels, but that will require buying 5-lug axles that are 29 3/16" long and new axle brackets

I think axle length measurement is usually flange face (where rotor touches) to end of splines or c-clip groove. I could be wrong but those reference points would make sense to be meaningful.

There are no upper ball joints, the spacers are most likely because the spindles don't sit correctly on fox ball joints.
When you buy ball joints, just buy the ones for an sn95 and you won't need the spacers.
Also, if you are going to use those axles, make sure you have the right spec wheels and the correct size tires, 3/4's off can be a lot.

I'd post the specs on the wheels you are going to run.
Me personally, i only like fox length axles.

You’ll want to use fox lenght rear axles for any 9” or wider wheel.

Sn95 17x8s work with the 94-98 axles, but that’s about it. 9” and 10” wheels need fox. The SN95 17x8s with Fox lenght axles tend to look very sucked in on a fox

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I was referring to the axle shafts. You can insert the different lrnght axles shafts into your housing.

if 17x9 rims are what you want, you’ll need new axles and offset caliper brackets. LMR sells both

Hey, so I obv have the wrong axles for a 17x9. I just confused by your post. I need a 95 mustang axle??
You want 79-93 length axles. We refer to them as fox length. They are the shortest and the most versatile. You can always add a spacer if needed, but with 94+ axles if they are out too far, changing wheels is the only solution.

17x9 wheels can fit with any length axle shaft, IF it has the appropriate backspacing (offset). If you have wheels already post some pics and dimensions of wheel width and backspace. That can help the discussion of whether the axle shafts you have will work.