What are these? (computer, wiring, and amp?) pics

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys I finally got started on cleaning out my interior, I took off the passenger side seat and found this box, I knew it was there but never looked at it until now because I have the seat off, I am guessing its the factory amp? its a 93'.
100_2926.jpg

Next I took out my computer and I heard something shaking around in there, so I got it so that it fell out and it looks like its some kind of resistor or something, I am not good with computers or circuit boards, is this going to be problematic? Is it fixable? Do I need a new computer?
View attachment 205279

Last I guess the person who had this car before me butchered the wiring under the dash and didnt realize how bad it was until I started taking apart all the kick panels, and dash pieces. It used to have an alarm so I am thinking maybe some of the wiring is from that? There are tons of butt connectors where I can see they have spliced something in, there is a small switch, and there a few loose wires just hanging out, also in the engine compartment behind the driver strut tower there are a few loose wires. Not sure what to do about this?

100_2939.jpg

100_2937.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

What a mess...

The first picture is sound amp for the premium sound system that came with the car. If you put an aftermarket sound system in the car, you can ditch it or sell it on eBay.

The second picture is a electrolytic capacitor. They often puff up and die, causing problems that are really hard to isolate. It is time to send the computer in for repair or get another computer. There used to be a shop listed in the automotive secion of the Orlando Yellow Pages that did computer repair. The shop was in south Florida, and they did decent work. The repair was cheaper than a rebuild, but it did seem to take a while. The repair came with a 1 year guarantee, which is really good compared to the rebuilt units.

The third picture is frightening. PM me you home address and I will send you a CD with the 92-93 Mustang service manual on it. The service manual software looks like it was written by a 12 year old kid, but it is usable and has all the diagrams in it.

haha Joe I think you feel my pain.

Looks like I will look into getting a new computer, this may be why I could never get my check engine like to come on or check my codes? Maybe affected other functions?

Joe, I have ALLDATA for my car, I think that should have the wiring diagrams that I need? I will have to search through it as I havent gone through the ALLDATA info at all really. I almost want to just pull the dash out and go through each wire and redo it, should I do this you do you think I can fix this mess the way it is?

Hey Joe, one more question, what am I looking at price wise to get the computer repaired? I can get them through my work for 65 bucks rebuilt after core. Doesn't seem too bad, I also wouldn't have to wait. They also come with a 1 year warranty.

Hey Joe, one more question, what am I looking at price wise to get the computer repaired? I can get them through my work for 65 bucks rebuilt after core. Doesn't seem too bad, I also wouldn't have to wait. They also come with a 1 year warranty.

Jump on that, because you can't beat that anywhere I have seen.

Success in fixing what you have is a function of your love for pain... :(

It can be done, but it might be simpler to get a junkyard harness and use it. The dash harness for 4 cylinder and V8 cylinder cars is the same. That fact is witnessed by the 4 cylinder to V8 swaps that don't seem to make any mention of replacing the dash harness. A 91-93 Mustang would be the donor for the dash harness.

Thanks Joe, I will check out my options. I got the computer today, I paid 70 bucks for it and came with a 1 year warranty. The computer I had out of my car was an A3M. I am not sure what kind of computer I got as it did not have the original sticker on it but I made sure the part number suffix matched up. They retail for 85 bucks anyone off the street can go in and get one from Advance, reman, 1yr warranty 85 bucks, I just get a small discount working there. I did notice the computers for an automatic or a coupe were almost double the price. I did open the new one though to look inside and make sure everything looked good, and there was a sticker inside on one of the parts, not factory, but it had A9L written on it in pen.