What does it take to beat those new camaro ss's

• Sponsors (?)

lol

american-express-blue-cash.jpg

the mighty power of the visa is doing me alright so far

Erm, LS1 F-bodies could hit high 12s bone stock sans drag radials in 100% humidity and 90 degree temps. Back in '02, a magazine did it, far from ideal conditions.

I can't imagine the new Camaros can only hit high 13s with 425 hp. Sure there are plenty of new 5.0s only hitting high 13s too. It's obviously the driver mod.

Erm, LS1 F-bodies could hit high 12s bone stock sans drag radials in 100% humidity and 90 degree temps. Back in '02, a magazine did it, far from ideal conditions.

I can't imagine the new Camaros can only hit high 13s with 425 hp. Sure there are plenty of new 5.0s only hitting high 13s too. It's obviously the driver mod.

I have NEVER seen a stock LS1 in the 12s. Now, I know that it is possible and that people have done it, but it is EXTREMELY rare. And I can't say that I've ever heard of one doing it without drag radials. Once again, I could be wrong, but I've never heard of it. I've seen LOTS of A4 LS1s only in the mid-high 13s on the stock H/C/I. Most M6 LS1s run 13.2-13.3 stock, and high 12s with bolt-ons/tires.

The new Camaros definitely can run in the 12s stock, but as that list shows, there aren't many of them, only 13 on that forum to be exact. I'm sure that there are many more that have done it that aren't on that list, but I'll bet that there are twice as many stock 5.0s in the 12s. Heck, I've personally seen around 10 in the 12s over the just the last couple of months. I have NEVER seen a new stock Camaro in the 12s. As Tank567 said a few posts back, I've only seen a couple in the 12s altogether. There was one at Draggin Rights on Saturday running in the mid-low 12s, but he was on drag radials and full exhaust at the least. There was another one there running mid-upper 13s....:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, every new 5.0 there was in the 12s. And one of them was doing this: YouTube - Qcksnake 2011 Manual shootout qualifying pass.wmv with bolt ons, Boss intake, nitrous, and a tune.

Bottom line: yes, the driver means a lot, and a bad driver can make a fast car look really slow. BUT, with equal conditions, with equal drivers, there will be many, many more 5.0s than LS3 Camaros in the 12s.

To the OP's question:

View attachment 189979

I have NEVER seen a stock LS1 in the 12s. Now, I know that it is possible and that people have done it, but it is EXTREMELY rare. And I can't say that I've ever heard of one doing it without drag radials. Once again, I could be wrong, but I've never heard of it. I've seen LOTS of A4 LS1s only in the mid-high 13s on the stock H/C/I. Most M6 LS1s run 13.2-13.3 stock, and high 12s with bolt-ons/tires.

The new Camaros definitely can run in the 12s stock, but as that list shows, there aren't many of them, only 13 on that forum to be exact. I'm sure that there are many more that have done it that aren't on that list, but I'll bet that there are twice as many stock 5.0s in the 12s. Heck, I've personally seen around 10 in the 12s over the just the last couple of months. I have NEVER seen a new stock Camaro in the 12s. As Tank567 said a few posts back, I've only seen a couple in the 12s altogether. There was one at Draggin Rights on Saturday running in the mid-low 12s, but he was on drag radials and full exhaust at the least. There was another one there running mid-upper 13s....:rolleyes:

Meanwhile, every new 5.0 there was in the 12s. And one of them was doing this: YouTube - Qcksnake 2011 Manual shootout qualifying pass.wmv with bolt ons, Boss intake, nitrous, and a tune.

Bottom line: yes, the driver means a lot, and a bad driver can make a fast car look really slow. BUT, with equal conditions, with equal drivers, there will be many, many more 5.0s than LS3 Camaros in the 12s.

To the OP's question:

View attachment 189978

Here's the article, it was actually in MM&FF:

12 second stock ls1 pass - Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

The LS1 of course was underrated since it was putting its advertised power to the rear wheels, but nonetheless, even with a little more weight on the new models, there is still a good bit more power, assuming they aren't also underrated, so there are/should be plenty of new SS cars running 12s stock.

If you look a little harder, you'll surely find just as many 2010 SS cars running 12s stock as you will 5.0s.

the mighty power of the visa is doing me alright so far

AMEX has better rewards. :D

Couple of my buddies ran high 12's in their LS1's w/ weight reduction (removing seats), DR's, lid, and catback. I've only seen one "stock" LS1 (had DR's) make it into the high 12's myself and it had passenger seat removed, back seat removed, partially stripped interior.