What else do I need to bolt this puppy together

Andres2882

Jan 29, 2004
OK, here's the scoop. I have a ton of parts sitting in my garage waiting to go together. What I need is a watchful eye to let me know what else I may need so I don't have to pay Summit's handling charge more than once more. Here's what I have:

Fully forged shortblock, assembled
AFR 185s with new springs from FTI
Cam from FTI
Roller lifters
7 qt oil pan with high volume pump and pickup
Tall valve covers
Performer RPM upper/lower
Timing chain
Romac balancer
Head gaskets, intake gaskets, oil pan gasket
Kirban AFPR
255lph fuel pump

From what I can gather, I just need the spyder/dogbone setup and bolts? Bolts are really throwing me too. When I pull my stock block out, I want to retain it as close to running as possible, ie not scavenging it for bolts. Anyone have a rundown on what I'll need? Thanks alot.

• Sponsors (?)

The tall valve covers might not clear without an intake spacer, so make sure and check that. Ditto on getting some ARP head bolts. If you re-use your stock dogbones and spider you can save yourself $50. You'll just have to pull your lower intake off your old motor. Does the new motor have a timing cover on it? If not you obviously will need to re-use that and get a new timing cover gasket and maybe a front seal. Also, make sure and prime the oil pump, they make a tool that allows you to prime it using an drill so you have oil pressure at start-up

All good to know. I am planning on buying the spyder setup b/c I don't want to dig that deep in the old engine, I want it in drop in shape basically. I do have roller rockers already. All the other suggestions I do need. THanks.