What gear ratio for auto. 2003 GT's

• Sponsors (?)

RedLine01 said:
I jumped to 3.73 gear and installed a fluid cooler.

Are you happy with the 3.73s? I keep going back and forth trying to decide between 3.73s and 4.10s. The 'Stang is my daily driver and I commute about 80 miles a day. Seems most who really push the 4.10s are hard core drag racer's. That is not me, I am more likely to autocross than drag race which is why I am leaning more towards 3.73s.

rjstaaf said:
What are your plans for the car? You might want to also consider 4.10s with that 4R70W automatic. Either way you probably should also think about getting an auxilliary transmission fluid cooler.

Well once my extended warranty goes out I plan on going with a KB 1.7 or a 2.2 (plus some extra cash for forged internals). I would get 4.10's but most if not all of my driving is highway miles, now about a tranny cooler, the higher the BTU the better off you are? And do you install it in the engine bay??

Toms_2003_Stang said:
Well once my extended warranty goes out I plan on going with a KB 1.7 or a 2.2 (plus some extra cash for forged internals). I would get 4.10's but most if not all of my driving is highway miles, now about a tranny cooler, the higher the BTU the better off you are? And do you install it in the engine bay??

I hear ya on the highway miles and 4.10s. I put about 80 miles on my GT every day commuting to and from work.

If you are looking at B&M I would go with the 70268. It is about the size of a sheet of paper and 3.4 inches thick.

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=20&subcat=28&pid=73

You are gonna want to mount it in front of the radiator so it gets cool air. Here is a link to a site from a fellow member at another board I frequent. He has a lot of great articles on various projects he had done with his GT. The link below is his tranny cooler install article.

http://www.2kgt.com/item.php?itemid=21

You can get the cooler at Summit Racing for less than $50.

http://store.summitracing.com/defau...earchinresults=false&N=0&target=egnsearch.asp

rjstaaf said:
Are you happy with the 3.73s? I keep going back and forth trying to decide between 3.73s and 4.10s. The 'Stang is my daily driver and I commute about 80 miles a day. Seems most who really push the 4.10s are hard core drag racer's. That is not me, I am more likely to autocross than drag race which is why I am leaning more towards 3.73s.

I use 4.10s in a daily driver as does my wife and mileage has suffered little if at all in either car. I have about a 50-60 mile daily commute, and both cars have been on long 2000 mile+ road trips after the 4.10s were installed. As long as you are not going with nitrous or a S/C 4.10s are perfect for automatics.

Give Me TP said:
I use 4.10s in a daily driver as does my wife and mileage has suffered little if at all in either car. I have about a 50-60 mile daily commute, and both cars have been on long 2000 mile+ road trips after the 4.10s were installed. As long as you are not going with nitrous or a S/C 4.10s are perfect for automatics.

See, now you have gone and confused me again :p I think the only way I am going to be able to make up my mind is to drive a Mustang with each gear ratio. Looks like I am gonna have to bum some rides at the next club meeting.

I'm in the same exact predicament. I'm trying to decide between 3.73 and 4.10's. I'm a daily driver also who enjoys a comfortable ride. I driver a little highway, but mostly around town.

Well, Ford Racing Parts' 3.73 gears are made using a brand new manufacturing process so if you are into new technology go with 3.73, if you are into proven technology go with 4.10. This of course assumes that you would go with FRPP gears because they ARE the best choice...

From http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=252

for the 3.73 gears

Replaces our popular M-4209-F373. New manufacturing technology utilizing a Face Hob Process which features a single pass pinion tooth machining operation compared to a conventional three pass process for machining. CNC cut and lapped gear teeth. Higher strength and better quality gears are produced with the Face Hob Process. NOTE: These new gears look a little different, the gear teeth are cut on a different angle and the ring gear has a bevel on the back of the gear.

I still FEAR the gear, the thought of driving in OD all the time makes no sense to me at all.
I Cobra can run low 12's with 3.55 gears.

So I plan on running 3.55's in the auto and 3.73 in the 97 & 01 Cobra.

3.73 would be PERFECT with a 6 speed !!!

rjstaaf said:

Hey Bob, I only drive the car on week-ends and now and then to work. I put on a average of 2-3k miles a year. So with that yes I am happy with the 3.73 but often would love to c how the 4.10 would feel. If I drove the car daily I would stick with the 3.73 for sure.