What gear?

Looking into new gear by the end of the year. I've been leaning towards 4.10's. One of my cousins had a 96 GT with 4.10's years ago and he was telling me the other day that the car will feel completely different with those gears compared to stock. This is me DD and I do drive on the interstate a 3-4 times a week for less than 20 miles each trip. I'm wondering if I should go with 3.90's instead. I've read that some guys regret going with 3.73's and wish they would've went with 4.10's. I know this subject has been beaten to death but I'm new to American Muscle and just want some input from guys with real experience with these gears. Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I do have 4.10 and this or the best upgrade I have done on my car. I am at 2400~RPM @70mph on highway. Get ready to shift a lot, acceleration is noticeable with good tire you ain't gonna spin everytime. 3.73 and 4.10 are both good but different. I've seen more people disappoint of their 3.73 after they went for 4.10.

Thanks MontrealGT. Good to hear. The other thing I've been thinking about is cruising around town @ 45-50 mph in 4th the car has a pretty bad drone but 5th seams to be too low of an rpm until at least 55 mph. I'm thinking the 4.10's will let me ride more in 5th around town.

I never drive in 5th in town and tbh 4.6 sohc does have the best sounding engine so depending on your exhaust setup drone shouldn't bother you at least it doesnt for me, I have no problem with gear/speed doesn't bother me either. The only thing I don't really like is the gear 1 It's way to short, when light turn to green you can almost start in 2 with almost no vibrations but on drag the 1st is just perfect.

It depends on you, as I said both 3.73 and 4.10 are great it just depend on you

The exhaust does sound great. My wife complains at times and my daughter has trouble hearing me riding in the back seat though. But my daughter loves going fast and tells me to do it every time we get in the car. Her laugh and smile makes every dime I spend on this car makes it worth it. My joy is just a bonus. Lol. I figured first gear will pretty much be non-existent.

Reactions: 1 user
When I bought my 97, it had 4.30's in it. Regular driving was difficult. It felt like I was shifting every 20 feet. So I ended up putting the stock 3.27's in at the time until I figured out what I wanted.
Ended up going with 3.73's and I'm not really disappointed. It's a good blend of acceleration with highway cruising potential. 4.10's would have been a lot of fun, but it just depends. That drive for you every day might be better with 3.73 in the long run, but it's up to your preferences on what you want from the car.

Reactions: 1 user