What Happened to the Mustang II Network site?

• Sponsors (?)

It was up and down for a while, and now it's been down for a very long time (a year maybe?)

I think the user-based shifted to Facebook. Tons of good information was on that site, it's a shame the owner just let it die. Folks were offering to take it over.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the information. Inexcusably selfish of the owner. I don't know how web rules work, can you wrest control of the site if its down for so long?
Not really, which sucks, because I'd totally host it and run it out of pocket. The domain name will eventually become available, but the content will be gone forever.

You guys might enjoy this link:
https://web.archive.org/web/20170426022733/http://mustangii.net/

April 2017 is the latest working archive snapshot I was able to find.

The search doesn't work so you're on your own navigating to the information you're looking for, but if you come across a link on Google you might be able to hunt the thread down using the archive site. That's not all that unfamiliar because the site search never really worked anyways.

The second really sucky part is that each of the pages that were snapshotted only list the default "last 30 days" worth of posts. And trying to click for more doesn't work. So you have to actually go backwards on the calendar and find an older archive to find older posts. Brighter site they have archives going back all the way to June 2000.

The website owner (from that link) was Tim Grahl (email [email protected]) though I imagine that mailbox might not be monitored any longer.

If someone were really inventive, they could download the whole archive and rehost it. Maybe on a site that doesn't suck like stangnet.

That link might make a good sticky @74stang2togo - for folks looking for some old info or just a nostalgia trip.

Looks like the domain name is registered through August 2019, which means even if Tim lets the name registration lapse then, it still wouldn't be up for grabs again until November of next year.

The only way to get it prior is to ask Tim if he would consider transferring ownership. Not sure how exactly to get a hold of him...maybe whois could reveal some more.

MustangII.net lost their database. The forum is gone. I have a backup of the site (similar to the web archive) but not the forum unfortunately.

MustangIITech kept getting hacked and based on the number of users was more effort than it was worth. I still have all the data and the forum. Most of the articles are in the files section of the Mustang II Tech Facebook page.

Like someone else mentioned, most people just use Facebook. It is easier to post pictures and you get more feedback. The downside is the difficulty in finding infomation and the same questions get asked over and over again.