What hose do I need to make this radiator work?

19stang66

Apr 16, 2003
What aluminum radiator should I get?

Aluminum Downflow (opp. openings) $290

Aluminum Downflow $300

Ok so Im going to get a new aluminum radiator. I have two choices from Summit. One is a direct fit with the openings both on the RH side (downflow) and one is a direct fit with the top opening on the RH side and the bottom opening on the LH side (also downflow). Now if I wanted to get the downflow aluminum with the openings on the same side i would have to wait until 7/22/06 for it to ship out. If I bought the downflow with the openings opposing it would ship out today and it is $15 cheaper. Would it be worth it to wait and get the downflow direct fit or get the other downflow and figure out what hose I need to make it work? Does anyone know what bottom radiator hose I need to make it work?

I also could go to a local radiator shop and get a direct fit aluminum downflow for $350 and have it today. The name brand is Thermosis or something like that, I couldnt understand what he said on the phone. Anyone know if they are any good? This shop has been around for 30+ years now and my grandpa recommended me to them. Should I spend the extra $50-60 and go and get the one locally today or order up one from Summit?

I am set on one of those 3 options because I just got $250 something for my birthday and I also just got a nice fat paycheck today! What do you think? THANKS!

• Sponsors (?)

I bought the second sryl one off a guy on ebay (for 67/68). The transmission lines are spaced differently from stock on mine which meant I had to make up new ones. Due to the increased thickness I also had to make up new radiator brackets. Looks good though.

If you get the cross flow radiator (opp. openings) you would need a different water pump so the hoses match up. I think it was 1970 (for a 351w at least) Ford went to a cross flow radiator and mid 80s to a reverse rotation pump for a serpentine belt. You would need a 1970 or later water pump from a 302 but also one before Ford went to a reverse rotation pump for a serpentine belt. It's been awhile since I went through this for my 351w so someone should back me up before you take me word for it. I’d get the cross flow, it will cool better.

Just to throw out another option with the crossflow(opposite sides): keep the same waterpump. For the hose that is now on the wrong side: Cut the stock hose in half and connect to the other side of the engine with the appropiate size s.s. pipe using two extra hose clamps.