What is this strange sound in fuel rails.

TheBocSez

Feb 3, 2004
Converse, TX
I was adjusting my fuel pressure when I noticed what sounded like a vacuum leak in the area of the where the upper/lower intake meet and around the #1 cylinder.

Yes, the vacuum line that goes to the regulator was plugged! :D

I finished adjusting the fuel pressure and put the vacuum line back on and the sound went away.

So I pulled the line back off and plugged it and the sound came back. I started trying to locate it using a mechanics stethoscope but couldn't find it at any of the normal places you would look.

I placed the stethoscope against the metal fuel rails and heard the sound coming from there.

The sound is a hissing sound like a vacuum leak, but once I put the vacuum line back on the regulator, it goes away. Any idea whats causing it? :shrug:

I thought bad regulator, but there is no vacuum sound coming from it, just the fuel rail, it holds steady normal fuel pressure and I observed no fuel coming out of it at idle.

Anyone know? Is it even something I should be concerned about?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i've heard that before on mine...i believe it is just fuel being "returned" since the sound steadies when fuel pressure goes up and is intermittant when fuel pressure is lowered.:shrug: