• Mustang Forums
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum

What megasquirt kit to order

  • Thread starter Thread starter 74delta
  • Start date Start date Jul 4, 2026
7

74delta

New Member
Jul 4, 2026
9
0
1
Massachusetts
Jul 4, 2026
#1
  • Jul 4, 2026
  • #1
Hoping someone can let me know if my thought process is right or not about which PNP megasquirt kit to order. I have a 95 GT 5.0 manual. The PO installed a painlesswiring engine harness and after reading the installation instructions it is essentially a foxbody harness that requires yoy to run a fox distributor with the TFI mounted on it and swap the wires on the TPS. My question is, if the under hood harness is basically a 93 fox and everything else is still factory 95 stuff should i order the foxbody kit or the 94/95 kit? I come from the world of LS swaps using Holley terminator but love the idea of PNP and after watching lots of videos I don't think megasquirt will be too steep of a learning curve for me.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,363
21,570
234
Box behind Walmart
Jul 10, 2026
#2
  • Jul 10, 2026
  • #2
What ECU do you run?
 

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,057
224
Massachusetts
Jul 10, 2026
#3
  • Jul 10, 2026
  • #3
Noobz347 said:
What ECU do you run?
Click to expand...


Valid question.

My understanding is that 86-93 and 94-95 are not interchangeable unless a few pins are swapped. So my mindset would be whatever ECU you have now is likely what you need to get assuming everything was setup correctly by the previous owner.
 
Last edited: Jul 10, 2026
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Jul 10, 2026
#4
  • Jul 10, 2026
  • #4
This one.

https://protunerz.com/products/megasquirtpnp-g2-eec4b8-for-94-95-ford-mustang-5-0-manual-trans
 
7

74delta

New Member
Jul 4, 2026
9
0
1
Massachusetts
Jul 10, 2026
#5
  • Jul 10, 2026
  • #5
Mustang5L5 said:
Valid question.

My understanding is that 86-93 and 94-95 are not interchangeable unless a few pins are swapped. So my mindset would be whatever ECu you have no is likely what you need to get assuming everything was setup correctly by the previous owner.
Click to expand...
100% a great question and it made me dig i to the car and check the wiring. Turns out the PO installed a "hotrod" swap harness meant to specifically run an 86-93 302 with a foxbody computer. He changed the distributor to a foxbody one and repinned the TPS but was still running a 94/95 computer. Long story short the other night a ripped out the painless harness and distributor. I ordered some used harnesses off ebay and am waiting for them to come now. Once a fix all the wiring im going to order the 94/95 kit. I. Not sure how the car ran as decent as it did while running the 94/95 computer because i contacted painless and they said that harness was only meant for a fox computer.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Jul 11, 2026
#6
  • Jul 11, 2026
  • #6
To be honest, I fought with Megasquirt in my '94 for an eternity. I had multiple remote tunes by some of the best. It just never ran correctly. I switched to Holley and life is good again. It's so much easier to use and there's support everywhere.
Just some food for thought.
 
8

86HO5.0

Active Member
Apr 18, 2023
262
173
53
Raleigh, NC
Jul 15, 2026
#7
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • #7
fasterthangas said:
To be honest, I fought with Megasquirt in my '94 for an eternity. I had multiple remote tunes by some of the best. It just never ran correctly. I switched to Holley and life is good again. It's so much easier to use and there's support everywhere.
Just some food for thought.
Click to expand...
If it never ran correctly then they weren't the best IMO.
 
Reactions: fasterthangas
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Jul 15, 2026
#8
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • #8
86HO5.0 said:
If it never ran correctly then they weren't the best IMO.
Click to expand...
Well there's that also. The Pimpxs is more suited for earlier models. I ran into issues that Stinger hadn't even encountered while using it on a '94. One update caused my engine to run in batch fire. Stinger had to post a notice in their forum to warn users.
Getting the A/C to work was unchartered waters. I was on my own while figuring that one out. It goes on and on.
Hot starts were a disaster and were never resolved.

Another issue that I hadn't considered was that the Pimp relies on the old, factory wiring. By the time that I re-pinned the ECU and moved it in and out of the kick panel many times, the factory wiring and connections were really put to the test. The 60 pin connector had broken clips from removing pins and relocating them. I had to install a new 60 pin plug.

I pulled everything out and sold it. My buddy builds classic hotrods for money is no object clientele. One day I watched him install a Holley Sniper 2 on a 632 GM big block in a '69 Nova. I thought there was no way that this setup would work with the nasty cam in that engine. He gets the unit all installed and enters a few parameters in the Holley Wizard. He turns the key and wallah. It fires right up and settles into a nice idle. He checks the timing and looks for leaks. Oil pressure is great. Hop in, let's go for a drive. Before I knew it he was doing a WOT pull. Holy chit! It just kept running better and better the more we cruised. I was sold.

I pulled all of the factory EFI equipment off of my engine including the engine and A/C harnesses. No more CCRM, TFI, etc...
I took my time and wired the Sniper 2 neatly and correctly. I installed a Super Vic carb intake and mounted the Sniper on top. I answered the questions in the Holley Wizard and turned the key. Bam! I couldn't believe how fast it started and settled into a nice idle. After putting some miles on the car, I started playing with the tune. I suck at tuning and am not the best with computers. The Holley software is easier to negotiate and more intuitive.
I tinkered a bit and then sought out a professional to get it all dialed in. The network of tuners and support for Holley EFI in general is huge. Even at the track! With the Megasquirt, I was on my own. There was nobody in state that messed with it.

It gets better!!! A gentleman developed an AI assisted Sniper 2 datalog analyzer that spits out detailed tuning suggestions to squeak every last bit out of the tune. It plain works and folks who are well versed in tuning their Holley's are seeing improvements after using the analyzer and making changes.

Call me a happy camper.

 
Reactions: Blackhawkxx

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,330
18,057
224
Massachusetts
Jul 15, 2026
#9
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • #9
I agree that if you just want to hop in a car and get going, Holley is the way to go for sure.
 
Reactions: fasterthangas
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Jul 15, 2026
#10
  • Jul 15, 2026
  • #10
I was so close to going with a carb before I tried the Sniper.
 
O

OX1

Active Member
Apr 16, 2014
54
75
29
Jul 16, 2026
#11
  • Jul 16, 2026
  • #11
Glad to hear Sniper 2's are running good, as the original was a nightmare, especially old Ford's.
I ended up going propane on my offroad rig (400 "M"), due to so many reported issues (back in the day).
No real good way to go port inj on M's.

Sniper 1 was heavily converted to on Classic Bronco board. Some still having issues I see.
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/sniper-fuel-injection-aggravation.327898/
https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/efi-replacement-options-opinions.325376/

My buddy bought the original version a while back. Never installed and not sure what to do with it.
Would be on a 67 Olds, so at least he would not have front distr interference.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Jul 16, 2026
#12
  • Jul 16, 2026
  • #12
Yes, the original Sniper had issues and Holley addressed all of them with the Sniper 2. All too often we read and hear about negative experiences when in reality there's far greater numbers of success stories. It's like buying the first year model of a vehicle. It's very unfortunate.

Something to keep in mind is that auto manufacturers spend millions on developing the computers that control our modern vehicles. The likes of Holley and others do not have those resources. They don't have a fleet of vehicles driving thousands of miles while testing in all conditions. We the consumer are that fleet.
The other issue is user error. Holley and other brands are relying on the end user to wire the system correctly. Have you seen pics of the wiring jobs that customers call "good"? Holy spaghetti!
Then there's the impossible task of getting the customer to read and follow directions.

Holley does sell an upgrade kit to convert the Sniper 1 to a Sniper 2. Unfortunately it's not cheap and doesn't make the end user very happy. I get it.
 
Reactions: OX1

Qtrhrse23

Active Member
Jul 2, 2024
76
29
28
Texas
Aug 26, 2026
#13
  • Aug 26, 2026
  • #13
As mentioned, most of the MS Ive seen IF NOT ALL are on Foxes now that It think about it. Im an EFI guy, but might do carb if staying NA. Good luck.
 
Reactions: fasterthangas
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Aug 26, 2026
#14
  • Aug 26, 2026
  • #14
Qtrhrse23 said:
As mentioned, most of the MS Ive seen IF NOT ALL are on Foxes now that It think about it. Im an EFI guy, but might do carb if staying NA. Good luck.
Click to expand...
I like carbs. If you're willing to invest the time, they just plain work. I nearly went that route but decided to give the simplest form of EFI a chance. One of the biggest advantages is timing control via the Hyperspark ignition. It's so nice to be able to dial in or change the timing curve via laptop. However, there is the Progression Ignition setup which will give you that ability when using a carb.

https://progressionignition.com/
 
7

74delta

New Member
Jul 4, 2026
9
0
1
Massachusetts
Aug 26, 2026
#15
  • Aug 26, 2026
  • #15
fasterthangas said:
I like carbs. If you're willing to invest the time, they just plain work. I nearly went that route but decided to give the simplest form of EFI a chance. One of the biggest advantages is timing control via the Hyperspark ignition. It's so nice to be able to dial in or change the timing curve via laptop. However, there is the Progression Ignition setup which will give you that ability when using a carb.

https://progressionignition.com/
Click to expand...
I've always been a carb first guy but played around with holley and kind of liked it. Now I want to try megasquirt. Hopefully the learning curve wont be too bad.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
274
82
38
Phoenix
Aug 26, 2026
#16
  • Aug 26, 2026
  • #16
74delta said:
I've always been a carb first guy but played around with holley and kind of liked it. Now I want to try megasquirt. Hopefully the learning curve wont be too bad.
Click to expand...
The learning curve sucks. One of the worst parts is the SN wiring protocol to implement the Megasquirt. That is if you use the Pimpxs kit which I'd highly discourage you from doing. There is no performance gain when switching from Holley to Megasquirt or vice versa.
Having had both platforms on my car, the Holley is by far the easiest to grasp and Holley support is the very best.
There's a reason that Holley is so prevalent at the track. JMHO
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
349
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
Progress Thread Giving an abandoned 88 GT project a new chance at life
  • jaketractor
  • Jan 9, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
27
Views
2K
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 20, 2025
Noobz347
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
H
'86 New Turbo Build First Start/Idle Trouble. Full Tune specs attached
  • Heffay
  • Jul 10, 2022
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
8
Views
3K
Digital Self-tuning Forum Jul 12, 2022
Heffay
H
Fox 4 Cyl to V8 Swap Info Thread
  • Matt01
  • Jul 12, 2021
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
13K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 9, 2023
Robinson
R
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?