• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

What paint did you use for your block???

  • Thread starter Thread starter jasonn
  • Start date Start date Feb 20, 2004

jasonn

Founding Member
Sep 26, 2002
316
0
16
By Rochester MN
Feb 20, 2004
#1
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #1
I am putting together another motor and was just wondering how you guys prepped your block before painting and what kind of paint. I want it to look good for a long time, I hope. Thanks much!!
 
A

akd67

Banned
Apr 6, 2003
231
0
0
Small Town Illinois
Feb 20, 2004
#2
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #2
I used the por 15 engine kit. Looks great (I brushed it on)but I havent ran the engine much so I cant vouch for how tough it is under prolonged engine temp.Im impressed with the normal por & hoping this holds up as well.
Kit has all the stuff you need to do 1 engine. www.por-15.com
 
G

Grayle

Founding Member
Nov 7, 2002
63
0
0
Otsego, MN
Feb 20, 2004
#3
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #3
I used that Ford Dark blue engine paint. I dont remember the brand(Rustoleum, or Duplicolor) and it sucks! I put three coats on and it basically baked off. I also don't recall if I primed the block.
 

68converted

Member
Nov 19, 2003
772
0
16
Colorado
Feb 20, 2004
#4
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #4
jasonn said:
I am putting together another motor and was just wondering how you guys prepped your block before painting and what kind of paint. I want it to look good for a long time, I hope. Thanks much!!
Click to expand...

I used the Dupilcolor "High Heat w/ ceramic", it is supposed to be good up to 1200 deg. Anyway, I just scrubbed the thing down a bunch with industrial degreaser, used some metal prep wash, can't remember the brand, then warmed up the block (35K BTU propane heater) on a stand in the garage and shot it twice, 2nd time just as it got tacky.

Only about 2000 miles on it but it still looks as good as when I did it. Just for fun I hit the headers with the same stuff in black and they still look brand new. No discoloring what so ever! I figure for $5 a can, if it wears out in 5 years, I will pull the engine and do it over.

I used the standard engine paint from Dupicolor on another engine and that did suck! Same process as above. As soon as oil hit it, or rad. fluid. it discolored and flaked off.
 

Edbert

Founding Member
Jul 13, 2002
3,548
32
109
Austin TX
Feb 20, 2004
#5
  • Feb 20, 2004
  • #5
The key is in DEGREASING the block, if it is really clean a primer should not be needed. You may want to wash it down with alchohol or brake cleaner (or anything that wont leave a residue), once you've done that any rattle can should do fine.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

B
Paint in engine bay questions
  • B0udreaux
  • Feb 26, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
364
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 27, 2026
AeroCoupe
S
Block questions
  • s_vargas54
  • Jan 25, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
21
Views
933
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Feb 8, 2026
Trogdor
S
347 with Vortech V2 and Holley quick fuel, AFR Renegades a tremec tko 600 advice for newbie pls
  • Schargedfox
  • Jul 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
22
Views
556
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 3, 2026
Schargedfox
S
Fox won't crank over and fuel pump won't kick on.
  • djj62478
  • Jun 7, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
16
Views
510
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jun 11, 2026
General karthief
A
Engine 302 oil leak when running
  • AlexM556
  • Sep 8, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
14
Views
449
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Sep 26, 2026
AlexM556
A
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?