What rear end? What trans does my car have?

Juggalo95

May 27, 2007
Ok I have a 66 mustang. Its all stock. It has a 289 2v and tranny is a auto...is this a c4 tranny? Id like to know so I can get a price on a rebuild and figure what torque converter to get. Also does anyone know where to get a 2bbl that bolts on and will work with the factory kick down? Im just gonna build a cruiser car. If I did decide to go with a 4bbl setup would a 500cfm edelbrock be fine? I would think a 600cfm would be too big on a stock 289?

• Sponsors (?)

assuming its a stock tranny then yes, its a c4, as for the rear end, its most likely an 8", post up a pic and we'll be able to tell you for sure....the identification plate should also tell you...again assuming the car is stock and nothing has been swapped out

cool its a c4...this car is totally stock..still has am radio,factory ac intact,stock air cleaner, car sat in a garage from 1987 till early 2000's then outside under a car port I guess

Juggalo95, your car has a C4 automatic in it and the rear is an 8" with 2.80 gears.

D.Hearne is correct, all the 2bbl and 4bbl cars (except HIPO's) used the same cams and heads. They are very small cam and heads, so don't expect a lot of performance out of them.....but to the point.....yes, a 500 cfm carb is a good choice if you convert to a 4bbl carb.

Thanks for the help guys. I think Im just gonna keep the 2bbl or get a remanufactored stock 2bbl. This thing even still has the factory am radio. Im gonna try and keep it as close to stock as possible. I figure the stock 289 is enough to get it moving outta of its own way.