what the hell is this vine growing in my yard?

rockin_rick

Oct 9, 2003
What is this vine? I never really noticed these before, but this year it started growing in my yard, and I've started seeing them around more. I wonder if it is 'poisionous' as the last time I was out cleaning up brush/overgrown crap, I ended up with what I think was poision ivy (dermatitis), and couldn't find any poision ivy around. :shrug: I wonder if this vine is also to be avoided....

Any guesses?

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

• mystery-vine1.jpg
    mystery-vine1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 210
  • mystery-vine2.jpg
    mystery-vine2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 215
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I don't think that it's either, though. I checked a bunch of pics on the internet, and they don't really look the same...

The leaves are very heart shaped, see pic 3.

Also, in pic 2, it appears to be growing a pepper shaped thing...

The vine is also green colored, and tends to twist around itself, so there are 2-4 braided together.

Rick

rockin_rick said:
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I don't think that it's either, though. I checked a bunch of pics on the internet, and they don't really look the same...

The leaves are very heart shaped, see pic 3.

Also, in pic 2, it appears to be growing a pepper shaped thing...

The vine is also green colored, and tends to twist around itself, so there are 2-4 braided together.

Rick

I may not have the name right, but it's a very common vine. Im from IL and that stuff was always growing on trees and people's houses. I remember it because it has those green banana looking things. Everyone just hosed it with some Round-Up.

That same plan just started growing like crazy along the side of my house too! I pulled some of it up before I did some landscaping recently and the SOB ran along the ground for a good 6'-8'! I plan to soak the sucker in round up tomorrow. It must be a good time of year for that sucker to be growing!

Do yourself a favor when and if you buy Round UP buy the concentrate(mix yourself) the premix(spraybottle) is only a 1/2 to 1% active ingredient, where the concentrate is 18%. Also get Ortho's version of weed grass killer(concentrate) it's the same active ingredient(Glysophate), it cost's substantially less.

That same stuff grows seasonally at my house... we have a chain linked fence around the yard (in ground pool) and every year that stuff grows near one corner of it, starting around the spring, and vines like crazy all over the chain linked fence (doesnt touch the house though) and looks pretty nice in the late fall.

It dies off when winter hits.

- adam