What to look for when buying a used 2003 Cobra?

harry1587

Mar 31, 2005
Hey everyone. I am going to be going to upgrading from a 2003 GT to a 2003 Cobra. I have found this cobra and will be going to look at it soon. I am just wondering if there is any advice you can give me and things that I should look for or ask the dealers about the car that might make me think twice about buying the car? I dont want to buy a lemon so any help would be appreciated. THANKS

Also- This gas guzzler tax, is this paid each year or just when you buy the car new? Explain if you can?

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...e_modelASC&end_year=2007&max_price=&cardist=0

• Sponsors (?)

Price and mileage seems good.

This is a Ford dealership, so I would feel better about buying it from them than a "used" car lot. I am always leary of high end vehicles on used car lots. That's not to say it may be shady, I am just paranoid. Is there a warranty? I believe that un-moddified Terminators are rarer than modded ones, so maybe the Terminator crowd can lend advice on specifics to look for. I wonder why they did not put a photo of the engine in. Look for the SVT build plate on the valve cover. I would also have them knock off some $$$ for tattooing the trunk lid with thier store logo. If they want to advertise, you should get paid (think NASCAR). If they had a brand new GT500 would they deface it with a sticker and still charge 80K?

If this is a used Cobra THERE IS NO GAS GUZZLER TAX! Plus 25K for a 40,000 mile Terminator is a little high. Especially when you don't know its history...

...and everything you ever wanted to know about the 03/04 Cobra can be found in the FAQ. Even what to look for when buying and other common issues & problems.

03/04 FAQ

U.M.

yeah, thanks for the comments! Ill definetly try to get them to knock the price down and the advertising is a good point. I will definetly be cautious and give the car a really good look over! Thanks for the FAQ's, those helped a lot. Hopefully ill have me an SVT COBRA soon!

yeah even here on the west coast, 25k for a 40k mi cobra is pretty high, i sold mine with 54k on the clock for 22,2k in awesome condition (other than the miles).

on the east coast id expect to pay 24k for a low mileage ultra good condition, and in the sub 20k for a decent mileage decent condition one.

try to find a private seller with a good head on his shoulders. i bought mine from a super cool guy in his mid 40's in the bay area who knew his **** about the cars and what to do with them, which made me feel good i was getting a cobra that while it was previously modded, it was done right. the couple months i had mine, zero problems whatsoever and it was a blast, just wish the GT sold so i didnt have to spend almost all my income for 2 cars, or else id still have the cobra.