What to look for when buying a used/modified car?

NightLife

Sep 11, 2003
Tampa, FL
hey ya'll this sunday i'll be looking at a few used cars most have some kind of modifictions....

what kind of questions should i ask? the ones i know are :

reason for sale?

accident?

modificitions

any problems (leaks)

miles on car

miles on engine (if like the car below...has a 306 DSS block)

what else?

what should i bring if anything when looking at the cars....?

what questions and concerns should i have if the car is modified?

heres one of the cars im going to go look at to give ya'll an idea.

http://autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?c...advcd_on=y&doors=2&fuel=GSL&color=&cardist=99

998054283.169403877.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

998054284.169403877.IM1.02.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

998054285.169403877.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

998054286.169403877.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1001617978.169403877.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1001617979.169403877.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

price is $7500 what should i offer if the car is nice?

the mods are:

Car has 65k on DSS 306 with; main support, flycut pistons for heads, TW heads and intake, motorsport "F" cam, 1.6rr's, msd dist & 6a box. Tremec TKO transmission and centerforce clutch with less than 10k, upr shifter, aluminum drive shaft, 3.73 rear. Adjustable KYB shocks and ford lowering springs, Steeda aluminum upper & lower rear control arms. ROH ZS rims with new Falken Azzenis tires. Paint is near perfect: laser red/tinted clearcoat

anything to worry about here?....

Thanks for any and all comments/suggestions.

thanks

chad

• Sponsors (?)

There's simply too much to go into. Your questions are a good start. I'd want to know if the car has been raced - what type of racing, how often. I'd want to know where the car spent it's 'life' - if it's from some place where it spent winters on the road with salt/chemicals, or from a coastal-salt water region that's a non-starter for me. I'd want to get it up on a rack to look underneath - you can spot accident damage, and equally important - rust.

Most important - 1) take someone with you that really knows cars and have them be your counselor, 2) drive it for a good long test drive - let everything get good and warm. Have someone follow you to see if it smokes on acceleration or deceleration - you often can't see it in the mirror.

Good luck!

Michael Yount said:
There's simply too much to go into. Your questions are a good start. I'd want to know if the car has been raced - what type of racing, how often. I'd want to know where the car spent it's 'life' - if it's from some place where it spent winters on the road with salt/chemicals, or from a coastal-salt water region that's a non-starter for me. I'd want to get it up on a rack to look underneath - you can spot accident damage, and equally important - rust.

Most important - 1) take someone with you that really knows cars and have them be your counselor, 2) drive it for a good long test drive - let everything get good and warm. Have someone follow you to see if it smokes on acceleration or deceleration - you often can't see it in the mirror.

Good luck!

thanks...as always you are a great help.

Check the gaps (Hood to fender, door to fender, door to quarter) if the gaps seem off (pinch together or are really spread apart) could be a sign of a prior accident (Possible frame damage). Bring a magnet & run it over the body panels (use one with felt backing if you can find one so you don't scratch the paint). if the magnet doesn't stick it could be from a thick spot of body filler (AKA Bondo) another sign of a previous accident. Write down the VIN & run a carfax or decode it to see that everythingchecks out OK. Look at it in some good light, easier to see signs of prior damage or poor quality work that was done on the car before....most importantly, take your time. Take a good look at everything, drive it with the stereo off & listen for any odd sounds, after the test drive, pop the hood & look under for any leaks. Good idea to bring someone who knows cars because there's alot to look for.