What weight oil?

NOSNotch

Founding Member
Oct 20, 2001
South Jersey
I've got a pretty fresh 306 in my coupe and never really thought about it before but what weight oil is everyone runnin thru the year? i started with 20w50 and right now its got 10w40 in it cuz its all we had around the shop but im thinkin about goin back to the 20w50 for the warmer months. so jw what everyones runnin in their cars. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You should run whatever the thinnest oil you can maintain good hot idle pressure with. I would probably go with 10w30 and see if you have good pressure.. if not 10w40. Living in Jersey, I wouldn't think you'd need 20w50.. just my .02.

sgarlic said:
You should run whatever the thinnest oil you can maintain good hot idle pressure with. I would probably go with 10w30 and see if you have good pressure.. if not 10w40. Living in Jersey, I wouldn't think you'd need 20w50.. just my .02.
:stupid:

I pretty much just run 10W40 all year round. 20W50 definetely sounds like overkill in your case.

Andy summed it up nicely. WIth a new mill, unless you had it built loose, 10W-30 should do you fine. If pressure is lacking, then step up.

Good luck.

remember in the mornings or after extended sitting that 20 weight oil is going to be like syrup compared to 10 or 5 weight...start up IMO is were significant wear occurs when the oil can't get there fast enough. I like a 10-30 dyno for myself...mostly castrol, but the engine is new(er) and IMO not ready for synthetic. As stated SO many times, as important as weight and type is the use of the BEST quality filter available and keeping the oil CLEAN.

i run 15w 50 on mine and she's doing great here with the weather we get... was running 10w 30 but had a small leak...I fixed it and every since then i've run this on my engine. Car has less than 15,000 miles and about seven oiol changes.... car would sit for long period of time but now she is my daily driver... Best advice keep an eye on your pressure but start with 10w 30 and then work your way up.

To go a little further, pressure is resistance to flow. So if you have a more viscous medium (a thicker oil), it will be more resistive to flow (Canola oil flows easier than molasses, like 5W-20 flows easier than 20W-50). And this extra resistance shows up as increased pressure.