What wheel size suits you?

What rim size best suits the new 05-06' Mustang?

• 15"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 16"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 17"

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • 18"

Votes: 71 61.7%
  • 19"

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • 20"

Votes: 26 22.6%

• Total voters

torqueIT

Jan 9, 2004
Phoenix, Arizona
This arguement is always being discussed on various forums I frequent.

So I thought I'd, why not poll our StangNet members and get a good idea as to which size is most popular on the new Mustang.

There are lots of reasons for peoples choice, but the biggest I see is for the 'rice' issue. Bigger rims seem more popular with the younger generation, while are more senior members seem to prefer 'maxing out' at 17 or 18" rims.

So lets get an idea as to which rim rules (if cost and performance were not an issue). This is purely a aesthetic poll.

Happy voting! :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

obviously 20 arent the best for striaght line performance but they look great, and if its teh right wheels look almost perfect on the 05-06. for handling 19s would probably be best since 20's have a very short sidewall to the tire.

Old guy here - Old school tastes -
20" rims are not for me. 18" looks good .
Some 20" rims look better than other for sure, but it is good to see that everyone has difffent tastes

StonePony said:
Old guy here - Old school tastes -
20" rims are not for me. 18" looks good .
Some 20" rims look better than other for sure, but it is good to see that everyone has difffent tastes

I'll tell ya, living in Phoenix, I've never seen so many cars that are rolling on 20's or bigger.

I've lived in San Fran, Denver, Chicago, Orlando and nowhere do people go all hog wild over large rims like here in Phoenix.

Heck, I even saw a Hummer rolling on 26s no more than a week ago.

Like ya said, its all about taste, some got it, others... well... :nonono:

But I do like 20s on the Mustang if they're the right style. :nice:

Nothin better than a 20" greay Foose Nitrous wheel in my opinion:

PerformanceWorld045.jpg

Attachments

• PerformanceWorld045.jpg
    PerformanceWorld045.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 52
Some 20's are great for looks, but not good for rough roads. I wouldn't go any bigger than 18's. I put 17's on my focus and it was way too much, I felt every little crack in the road. Sure, they do look great, but I bought the mustang to drive and look nice, which it does quite well stock!

I definitely prefer the look of 18's on the Mustang and they are sure to have a better ride than the 20's on typical urban roads. And then of course there's the difference in the price of the tires! As far as filling up the wheelwell goes, it's the overall diameter of the tire that counts, not the diameter of the rims. A 20" rim with only 2" of rubber around it is not going to fill up the wheelwell as well as an 18" rim with 4.5" of rubber around it (even if the car has been lowered).

I like 19s for best all-around looks/performance. Would I like a lighter wheel/tire combo? Yes, but the wheel openings on this new Mustang are huge and hard to fill. Having 19s on this generation is equivalent to 18s on the previous car relative to the overall diameter and section height of the tires.
View attachment 478614

Hey RandyB ... nice looking wheel/tire combo ... trolling for my 07 Mustang GT on order ... more info pls. on what mags and tires you picked, size etc. if you would. Thanks!

Dawgpndr

RandyB said:
I like 19s for best all-around looks/performance. Would I like a lighter wheel/tire combo? Yes, but the wheel openings on this new Mustang are huge and hard to fill. Having 19s on this generation is equivalent to 18s on the previous car relative to the overall diameter and section height of the tires.
View attachment 473308

Whether you have 17's or 20's the tire's overall diameter is the same, so this comment makes no sense.

anthony05gt said:
Whether you have 17's or 20's the tire's overall diameter is the same, so this comment makes no sense.

It's makes perfect sense, and jeez Anthony I made the 'mistake' of going larger than 18s didn't I? :) If you want to maintain the same section/sidewall height as an 18" tire on an SN-95 with its stock overall diameter, then you have to go up to a 19" tire on an S-197 with it's larger-than-SN95 overall diameter.

Dawgpndr,

Thanks for your comments. I went with 19x9F w/275/35-19 tires and 19x10R with 295/35-19 tires. The wheels are ROH Drift-Rs. Like you, I saw this same combo on several cars here. I decided I had to have them. Good luck with yours and have fun!

Loving the old school

I love the old school look of the new body style, so it's 18":nice: max for me. You have to have some fat rubber under your car or I think it takes on a "to modern" look for me.
That being said I have seen some show cars (above are good examples) that look great with 19" and bigger. But that is just me looking at it and not buying/driving it too.