What Yr Is This Low Coolant Sensor From?

Bill Cool

Previously 87MustangGT
Founding Member
Nov 18, 1999
Seymour, CT
I bought my 87 with this low coolant sensor.
de2udyvy.jpg

The float fits inside the tube, which fits inside the overflow tank. Apparently no 87's came factory with a sensor, and this isn't the same sensor as for 90-93 (per LRS). The 90-93 overflow I bought to replace my cracked "stock" unit doesn't accept the tube...and this sensor won't work w/o the tube.

What is this from??

• Sponsors (?)

87-89 GT's do have a low coolant sensor. They are the only model those years to come with it. The LX 5.0 and 2.3's did not get it.

It was part of the convienence warning light group on the right side of the lower gauge cluster. If you search around the headlight harness on the driver's side of the engine bay, you'll find the low coolant sensor plug. It's in all the 5.0 models as I use mine to power the fan relay in my '88.

There is a sensor for the 87GT. beleive it's the same as the 90+. What you show is not it. The plug connector should be taped in the harness with the head and parking light leads, and looks like a fog light harness. Get an OEM sensor, plug it in, and the low coolant light in that little warning light pod should now function. With it unplugged, the light defaults to off.