whats the best shift points for auto

• Sponsors (?)

I don't follow you.... are you saying the stock tach is wrong because you have 3.27 gears?

If you have the stock intake you are wasting your power in the 5,500+ rpms.... get the car to shift around 5,100 and you'll do a lot better.

You really should be able to "feel" the car stop pulling. Check your tach and try to get the car to shift a couple hundered RPM before that. :wink:

interex1982 said:
3.27 gear so the stock tech is wrong. i shifted at 5500 and it redline before it shiftes.

unless you have a manuel valvebody or a chip that you have changed the shift points on you are wasting your time manuelly shifting. For what its worth I runn better times letting the computer shift.

xx95gtmanxx said:
unless you have a manuel valvebody or a chip that you have changed the shift points on you are wasting your time manuelly shifting. For what its worth I runn better times letting the computer shift.

That was true for my car until I switched to the Cobra intake... when you change your power curve, you have to manual shift or the car will shift too soon. I gain another 2 tenths manual shifting now. :nice:

How does the intake affect the the transmission. The older valve bodies arnt made to be abused like that and it will wear them out faster and you will hurt it. I wouldent recomend manually shifting unless you have a 99+ valve body becuase thy have upgraded parts and are different. www.tccoa.com tech then tranny.

bjl95mustang said:
How does the intake affect the the transmission. The older valve bodies arnt made to be abused like that and it will wear them out faster and you will hurt it. I wouldent recomend manually shifting unless you have a 99+ valve body becuase thy have upgraded parts and are different. www.tccoa.com tech then tranny.

I agree

When you ahd the chip done did you change your shift points? Also Was this before or after the shift kit?

I agree with gcomfx.com, I get faster times when I shift. I also have the cobra intake. And that makes a difference to when I shift. If I leave it in Drive, the car will shift too soon not even using the extra power the intake gives me. Manually shifting I can hold it more rpms getting the full performance out of the intake. It would go the same for a 5 spd. You would shift at the same rpms if you got a new intake. Why would you do it with an AODE then? Yes, it might be harder on the tanny but your racing. It's hard on the whole car. Something is going to break sooner or later.

Dustin

SuperDust22 said:
I agree with gcomfx.com, I get faster times when I shift. I also have the cobra intake. And that makes a difference to when I shift. If I leave it in Drive, the car will shift too soon not even using the extra power the intake gives me. Manually shifting I can hold it more rpms getting the full performance out of the intake. It would go the same for a 5 spd. You would shift at the same rpms if you got a new intake. Why would you do it with an AODE then? Yes, it might be harder on the tanny but your racing. It's hard on the whole car. Something is going to break sooner or later.

Dustin

HHHHHMMMMMMM The computer doesn't even shift my car until 5500-5700 RPM's. And everytime I would shift it manually at lets say 5300 it would still wait till it was in that same range to shift. :shrug: