Whats the catch to hobby car insurance?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I know there are a bunch of question on which insurance is the best. My question is whats the catch to them? Why are they so cheap? I pay 250 bucks a month on insurance on my truck I dont see how you can get away with paying only 300 bucks for an entire year? I want to get my mustang insured but cannot afford to put it on my regular insurance. I am 23 and have a few tickets. Is there any kind of age requirement to be able to get this type of insurance? I am talking about my age not the car. The car is not going to be daily driven, I could follow any mileage restrictions and is garage kept. I guess I should just call these people and find out the info but I am wondering if there is any catch before I waste my time or can I really get away with just paying 300 bucks for a year of insurance?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure if Hagerty has a driver age limit, but they do have yearly mileage restrictions. You also need to show them that you have another vehicle to drive daily, send pictures of the car to set an agreed-upon value, and proof of indoor storage of the vehicle.

No catch just some of the stuff mentioned and they don't give it to everything. The main one is not being daily driven and garaged, some even have a age limit for your daily car meaning nothing older than 5yrs. cannot use your collector car for drag racing or other racing type events other than vintage racing/types of racing events car was designed to be run in like owning on old racing car or drag car. It's gotta be insurable, meaning not a hunk of crap. I had to give them pics of my car and proof that I restored it and didn't just give it a maaco paint job, So I gave them resto pics and some receipts.

Biggest catches I've found.

Not your daily driver (need another insured car under your name)
Garaged or stored in storage unit
Mileage restrictions
Must be pleasure only...can't take it out to home depot to run errands, or commute to work

skunk21 & Mustang5L5

I was I told by Hagerty and Grundy that I could not get collector car insurance in Massachusetts until my 1989 Saleen was 25years old (2014)?

Is there a difference between collector car insurance and hobby car insurance. Do either of you guys have hobby/collector car insurance in Massachusetts? I have no problem meeting all the other requirements for collector car insurance. Thanks. Rich

Rich, I don't know if that's a Mass. thing specifically, but I have all three of my Mustangs (all 93's) insured through Hagerty. I had to wait a year and show that I didn't put miles on them, but they took them. As previously stated, you have to be able to show that you have other primary vehicles, but once jumped through all their hoops, I've been good to go since. Since Hagerty insures all kinds of new Ferrari's and such, I find it difficult to believe that there's an actual age requirement specific to Mustangs. Personally, I'd inquire with a different agent.

Rich, I don't know if that's a Mass. thing specifically, but I have all three of my Mustangs (all 93's) insured through Hagerty. I had to wait a year and show that I didn't put miles on them, but they took them. As previously stated, you have to be able to show that you have other primary vehicles, but once jumped through all their hoops, I've been good to go since. Since Hagerty insures all kinds of new Ferrari's and such, I find it difficult to believe that there's an actual age requirement specific to Mustangs. Personally, I'd inquire with a different agent.

Nope. It's a Massachusetts thing. Collector car insurance is only available for vehicles 25 years or older in Massachusetts. I've called every collector car insurance company and they all shut me down when I tell them the car is registered in Massachusetts. I call Hagerty and Grundy every six months hoping to catch someone who will take my money. I'm 40 years old without so much a parking ticket on my driving record. My car has 45K original miles (only 3K miles added in the last 8 years). The car gets driven about 10-15 times per year. I have a two car attached garage. My daily drivers are a 2009 Camry and a 2011 Honda Odyssey both registered in my name.

The other guy's from MA who posted in this thread mentioned they had "Hobby Car Insurance" I'm just wondering what is "Hobby Car Insurance" and how does it differ from "Collector Car Insurance"?

Nope. It's a Massachusetts thing. Collector car insurance is only available for vehicles 25 years or older in Massachusetts. I've called every collector car insurance company and they all shut me down when I tell them the car is registered in Massachusetts. I call Hagerty and Grundy every six months hoping to catch someone who will take my money. I'm 40 years old without so much a parking ticket on my driving record. My car has 45K original miles (only 3K miles added in the last 8 years). The car gets driven about 10-15 times per year. I have a two car attached garage. My daily drivers are a 2009 Camry and a 2011 Honda Odyssey both registered in my name.

The other guy's from MA who posted in this thread mentioned they had "Hobby Car Insurance" I'm just wondering what is "Hobby Car Insurance" and how does it differ from "Collector Car Insurance"?

These guys will insure my '88 in MA. I know they offer different policies for original cars and modified cars. The quote for a modified car was about $100 more than if my car was original.

https://quote.americancollectors.com/AcctMgmt/?producer=2021498

Of you want some more info, PM me as I have a contact in my email.

I use grundy.
No mileage restrictions, they told me on the phone it's too hard to track in older cars so they don't bother.

Catches, you can't drive the car to work or school.
Must have other vehicle registered to you for normal driving.

Positives, i lie to everyone and say that they only person allowed to drive the car is me.

No they don't.

When we first applied, they refused and asked the agent to look at the odometer of my convertible. A year later, we reapplied and showed the car to the agent a second time and he noted that we had only driven it about 1500 miles. Since then, we've had no problem adding cars and we've never had to demonstrate our mileage since that time.

I would assume that, if I had an accident, they would want the current mileage and would calculate how many miles I had averaged a year since the policy went into effect.

skunk21 & Mustang5L5

I was I told by Hagerty and Grundy that I could not get collector car insurance in Massachusetts until my 1989 Saleen was 25years old (2014)?

Is there a difference between collector car insurance and hobby car insurance. Do either of you guys have hobby/collector car insurance in Massachusetts? I have no problem meeting all the other requirements for collector car insurance. Thanks. Rich

I have an agreed value policy with Grundy for over $15K with full coverage and yes in MA so I don't know what your insurance guy is talking about. Grundy has no mileage limits but the car cannot be primary vehicle, must be in a garage and cannot be used for errands like grocery runs and home depot, etc. Grundy will do 20yrs and older in MA while hagerty will do 25yrs and older in MA .I'm looking at my policy right now so yes they do it. PM me if you want my Insurance persons name they have a person who specializes in collector/hobby inusrance and they are at alot of the local shows great company and may give you some info/help if you want.

also it cost me about $250 for the year in total no other costs.

It is cheap because it is low risk. If you don't drive it much, or only drive it to shows, the risk of an accident is minimal. Plus they probably think you will be more careful with it. Some companies minimize the risk by imposing restrictions.

I have agreed value with State Farm with no mileage restrictions, and I can drive it anywhere for about $14 a month.

I'll more than likely go with Hagerdy insurance but I just want to make sure I find out all the catches that there is with this type of insurance. My car isn't my DD, but I would like to be able to drive it to work/school once or twice a week.