What's the deal with the revs?

krly79 said:
I may be publically educated Josh, possibly a little retarded, but I'm not stupid. It's just one of those little things that drives me crazy after a while.

Did you try what I mentioned above? There was something else I didn't like about it besides what I said about the fast idle, but I forget ... it was a while ago. It should take you five minutes tops (if that) and the throttle won't hang like it does now.

• Sponsors (?)

I noticed the RPM hangup between shifts right away. I also don't like the freewheeling feeling (lack of engine braking) when decelerating in the lower gears. I have driven other cars that do the same thing. I suspect it is done for emission reasons.

True Blue - how big a hole in the copper cap?

Roger Ramjet said:
I noticed the RPM hangup between shifts right away. I also don't like the freewheeling feeling (lack of engine braking) when decelerating in the lower gears. I have driven other cars that do the same thing. I suspect it is done for emission reasons.

True Blue - how big a hole in the copper cap?

I just checked it and I drilled the hole to 5/32". I guess you can start out smaller if you want and keep making it bigger until you get it to where you like it. I was also wrong about the size of the cap, it's closer to 3/4 ... not 1/2". It's the size of most of your common household plumbing. There was a thread about this whole procedure, that's how I found out about it ... You might have to dig in the archives to find it or maybe try a search on "hanging idle" or something.

I might have to try putting mine back in and see if I can find out why I didn't leave it in. :shrug:

OK - this is what I have done, so far. I removed the entire IAC air supply hose assembly from the engine (hose from the intake duct, the little plenum, and the hose to the IAC). I then pulled the IAC side hose off the plenum. I pushed a 1/2 inch long piece of 3/4 inch OD hose midway into that hose. I then pushed a 3/4 inch diameter disk with a 5/32 inch hole into the plenum side of the hose. I used a small socket to push the disk in flat against the internal smaller hose.

I wanted the restriction downstream of the plenum to minimize the air available to the IAC. I also wanted the short internal hose closer to the IAC so the disk couldn't enter the IAC.

Started the engine to go on a test run but I didn't like the closed loop idle operation when I turned the A/C compressor on - not enough authority.

I removed the 5/32 orfice and inserted a disk with a 5/16 inch hole (actually a standard 5/16 flat washer). Idle authority seems fine. And, on the test run the engine seems to decel much better.

I'll wait until morning to see if the fast idle function is satisfactory.

The slow RPM decay is done for emission reasons. Most new engines do this. I belive the reason is if you're winding the thing out and suddenly close the throttle you end up with a bunch of un-burnt gas in the cylinders that causes real rich running for a second or two.

The '05s will most likely be LEV's (Low Emission Vehicles) and will have even more things to annoy you guys who still drive 1967 289 Mustangs. One of them will be that when you cold start it, the engine will probably rev real high for 20 - 30 seconds (based on temperature) to heat the cats rapidly.

However with the ETC on the '05s (Electronic Throttle Control) you may find the revs will drop quiker when you take you foot off the gas as ETC gives you better overall control of the engine. One strategy to do this with ETC is to cut the fuel flow quick and delay the throttle flappers from closing a few milliseconds to clear out the cylinders quicker thus after a very short delay the revs. would drop faster.

Roger Ramjet said:
Started the engine to go on a test run but I didn't like the closed loop idle operation when I turned the A/C compressor on - not enough authority.

I think that might be the reason I took the copper cap out of mine. I'll have to drill it to 5/16" and give that a try. I probably got pissed before and just took it out instead of playing with the size of the hole. When it stops raining I'll put mine in and let you know how it works.

krly79 said:
It just sounds too heavy, like it's dragging a**. I have an 85 camaro that I built a 327 for pushing about 343 hp and about 350 lbs of torque that I got so use to hearing. Listen to the 5.0's, or the old 340's, 440's, 351's, just about anything expect a mod motor. They just have a sound to them that i've gotten use to and anything else just won't due. Nothing sounds as slow as these in my opinion
I’ve had all the cars/engines you mentioned and I love the sound of my Mod motor better.
If you don’t like it stick an H-pipe and some flowmasters on there and get that generic sound that almost every v8/v6 sounds like with them.

Even the 5.0 hangs its revs like you are talking about in your post above.
One thing to keep in mind for the occasional drag tracker who only granny shifts/speed shift. The way the revs are setup you will get a better E.T since the RPMS don’t drop off on you so fast. An OHC will hang longer in the RPMS then a push rod engine will anyway.

Roger Ramjet said:
I also don't like the freewheeling feeling (lack of engine braking) when decelerating in the lower gears.
That has to do with gearing and the rpms the engine is at. Has nothing to do with what this thread was started about. If it did do like you mentioned, it would be the other way around since the engine is still at a higher rev.
My guess is your low in the rpms for the gear your going into when you down shift.

351CJ said:
The slow RPM decay is done for emission reasons. Most new engines do this.

This is my first modular motor. I've had 3 LS motors since '98 - none of them did the idle hangup thing. I did drive a BMW last year that had worse RPM hangup between shifts than the Mustang.

Back to the fix! Cold start fast idle works fine with the 5/16 inch orfice. The car noses over right away when the throttle pressure is reduced. No down side yet.

Roger Ramjet said:
Back to the fix! Cold start fast idle works fine with the 5/16 inch orfice. The car noses over right away when the throttle pressure is reduced. No down side yet.

Good deal! :nice: I'm going to re-drill mine right now, put it in today and see how it works and let you know later. I just hope it does't screw with the idle too much when the A/C is on.

ok

yes I hate this too, ill be at the track and after I do a burn out it takes ****ing forever for the revs to come down and i look all weird pulling up the the line..

Mine worked out great, the car does back-off the throttle faster now and I didn't have any other problems from it. Fast idle is good and it still works fine when the compressor kicks in. I drilled mine to 9/32".

v8thunder ... It goes in the big hose running from the plastic black box to your IAC valve. You just take the hose off and put it in ... that's it, no clamps or anything needed. The coppper cap we're talking about fits perfect so get one of those and drill a hole in the center, put it in and you're done!