What's the deal with the revs?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, it bugs the crap at of me too. Ford programmed a graduall fuel engine deceleration for the purpose that the engine's timing chains are so long that if a aggresive rev down occures that it may possibly jump time on an engine w/ miles on it.

Is there any way to safely defeat it and retain the reliability? I can't stand it, it annoys the p*** out of me. I was seriously considering replacing it with a 5.0, until I looked at my account balance anyway. I'm assuming the 05's are going to have a 4.6 mod motor as well with the same irritating tendensies?

It just sounds too heavy, like it's dragging a**. I have an 85 camaro that I built a 327 for pushing about 343 hp and about 350 lbs of torque that I got so use to hearing. Listen to the 5.0's, or the old 340's, 440's, 351's, just about anything expect a mod motor. They just have a sound to them that i've gotten use to and anything else just won't due. Nothing sounds as slow as these in my opinion

You can try putting something in the big hose (between the black box and IAC) to restrict the air to the IAC. I used a copper cap made for 1/2" plumbing and just drilled a hole in the center of it. You easily slide it into place without even clamping it or anything. I tried it, but didn't like how it didn't let my car go to a fast idle when cold. Give that a try and see if you like it or not ... it still might not rev down as fast as you like, but it will help.

I also find this to be utterly annoying. I've only owned a short list of cars in the last 10 years that I've been driving, and none of them did this. I've had two carbed 318's, 2 LS1's, a Ford 5.0L HO, and a VW 1.8T and none of these engine hung up like this 4.6L.

i dont know why people get so annoyed with this, It blows my mind. If it isnt one thing its another. Look at it this way, you are trading a car that can bend pushrods for a car that slowly revs down. I did hear this theory that the reason it revs down so slow is due to ALOT of backpreasure, dont know how much truth there is to that, but after my buddy put a O/R H pipe on his cobra it reved down alot faster.

It pisses me right off too.......

My last car was a 1967 mustang fastback with a balanced 289 that would rev up to redline and drop back down to idle pretty much as fast as your foot would allow it. Now dont get me wrong, I love my 99 GT, but this one thing about it really bothers me. So Im looking into getting a Superchips Microtuner to hopefully alleviate this problem. I was told the reason it does this is for better emissions, something about if the engine rpm's drop too fast then theres unburned gas that gets exhuasted.

This kills me too. It makes it look like you don't know to let your foot off the gas when you push in the clutch. I hate it bad :bang: :bang: It really boggles the mind when the tach starts to fall, hits 2000, jumps up to 2200, then falls again. :shrug:

this might sound stupid, but my mac cai helped this alot. i know it is not my imagination because ive taken it out and put it back in several times. every time it is in the car the revs drop quicker.

I think the only thing my MAC CAI did was make my bank account drop quicker. :rlaugh:

Exhaust note got deeper, and maybe a *tiny* bit of HP (probably from going from a snorkeled paper filter to a open K&N style), but if I did it all again I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Are you one of those guys that drives around town all day and rev the piss out of your car to like 6000 rpm. I mean come on. I race alot but I don't just rev the hell out of my car. A person that absolutely can't stand when the engine rpms take to long has to just do this all day every day.

Josh