• Some other option?

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
Hagerstown, MD
OK, I need some help. I have a new set of Magnum 500 15x7 wheels new in the box. After seeing the car back from paint, everyone is telling me it will look much better in Torque thrust D wheels. So here is a poll. Let me know what you think.

I have the Granada front disk brake kit on the front.

Will be a GT 350 clone. White with red stripes. Will have the scoops and the red decal on the sides.

I would also be VERY open to what size tires I can get away with. I have looked at tire and wheel charts till I'm blind...

• Sponsors (?)

I like the Magnums. Here are a couple of pics of mine. I can't find a good side shot though in my album. Remember that they are pretty heavy.

Gotair2.jpg

index.239.jpg

Attachments

• Gotair2.jpg
    Gotair2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 90
  • index.239.jpg
    index.239.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 81
I voted "some other option" because Im not wild about the mags, and while the torq thrusts ARE good looking (I have em on my falcon, but only because I got a good deal), theyre just so "me too" looking. I say go with the magnums if you already have em, but if you want something else, dont get the TTs. Explore some other option first.

Oh yea! Besides the $$$? No reason...I could sell my Magnums and buy one wheel! Wish I could do that, but this car will be going to Spring Carlisle. So, I am willing to buy something comparable in price to the Magnums IF IF IF it will make a big impact in how people see the car. I am in pretty deep on this project and still going. Still need a radio. Got every restoration part I could think of at Fall Columbus 2 years ago. Actually bought two of everything so the 2nd 66 FB is covered too.
If I stick with the 15 x 7 wheel size, what would be the best size tires to get? I was leaning to 225 60s on the front and 235 60s on the back as long as they don't rub. The initial stance with the motor and trans in isn't too bad. Still a lot of weight to add yet-interior, door glass, windshields, seats etc.

What about a set of 15" Styled Steel wheels ? Weren't those available from 65-66 ? I have always liked those on the early Mustangs. Not sure how they would look with yours, maybe some photoshops of the wheel options would help ?

DENNIS112--What are your tire and wheel sizes in front and back? I think your stance and wheel/tire proportion in the wheelwell looks great!

Thanks!

Front are 14x6" rims with some old E70 bias plys (25" tall)

Rear are 15x7" rims with MT 26x8.5 drag slicks (26" tall)

I have another set of 14x6 Magnums w/ some old E60x14 bias plys for the rear when I run my street tires.

I swiped this magazine from my dentist's office. Antique Autombile. May/June 2007
THere is an article about a 65 GT 350. Assuming accuracy, one part said this:
Wheels. THe standard wheel on the 66 "change over" cars was the 15" steel wheel painted argent. THe optional wheel was the Crager/Shelby 15x6" 5 spoke. As of 1/27/66 the wheel was changed to 14". A few cars were delivered with 14" argent painted steel wheels, but the primary standard wheel became the painted Magnum 500, 14x6". THe optional wheel was the 14x6.5" or the 14x6.75" alum 10 spoke. All Hertz models received chrome magnum 500 wheels, 14x6"

I had thought that the Magnums were optional and the 10 spoke wheels were standard shelby wheels.
To be honest, i don't much like the Magnums myself. I just got such a good deal on them. Walked into Sam's Club and they were piled in a shopping cart at the entrance. Customer return. $300 with lugs and center caps for a Mustang...in original boxes. And not a scratch. I'm going to look around at the Fall Columbus show next week and see what I can find.
Does anyone have any tire size recomendations? I'll probably buy the tires there. Does the 225/60 front and the 235/60 rear sound safe for a 15" wheel?

I think a Shelby 10 spoke would look real nice on there or the later Boss style 10 spoke racing rim would be a nice and fresher approach to a boring TT2 racing look. I also think a 68/69 styled steel wheel would be a good look for a somewhat custom but correct looking mustang option, with or without a GT center cap.

Why not do a few photoshops and see what looks best to you.