Wheel Hum

ShadowFist

Dec 1, 2005
Old Miltia
I just got a 99 cobra and the only real problem that I see is that at speeds above 25 mph there is a hum coming from the front right wheel. It gets variably louder at higher speeds, and tapers off around 60-65 (but comes back again at 70). I have changed the tire with a different set, and the problem persists. Any ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

No steering vibration... We had a good idea that it was the bearings, but when we pulled off the tire and grease cap, we found that it was a different bearing setup than everything else we had seen. We checked a Chiltons for a 96-98 cobra, and it had the same/similar setup there. They say that the entire assembly will have to be replaced if it is bad.

Is there a surefire way to see if it needs to be replaced?

Check to see if the "hum" lessens or goes away when you turn one direction or the other. If so, it's definitely a wheel bearing as others have previously mentioned. I had the same thing on my car last fall. Replaced with an Autozone hub and noise is all gone. You simply cannot tell by looking at them whether a wheel bearing is bad or not.

Yes, it's a sealed hub/bearing unit and costs around $50+ at Autozone.

Good luck....

I had an 86 GT years ago and lost it in the snow--popped a curb with the right front. It wasn't enough to damage the wheel, but I had a distinct hum for several weeks exactly as you describe--above 25-30 on up and hmmmmmmmmmmmm........ Replaced the bearings and back to normal. You said you just got the car--maybe someone hit something before you got it, but I wouldn't wait to fix it.