Wheel narrowing. Cost and question

Daggar

Jul 19, 2004
I'm looking to get a set of steel wheels narrowed. They're 15 x 10 with a 5.5 inch backspace. I'd like to get on inch cut out of the outter lip to make them 15x9 with 6.5 in BS.

Two questions:

Does anyone know what this would cost?

By trimming 1 inch out of the outside of this thing, am I truly making the backspace 6.5? What I mean is... it's still going to be 5.5 inches from the inside lip. Is backspacing calculated from edge to edge on the wheel or is it just a measurement from the inside lip to the hub?

Thanks,
Daggs

• Sponsors (?)

Backspace is the distance from the hub mounting face to the inside rim. Cutting an inch out of the OUTER rim won't change the backspace. You'll have to cut the width out of the IN BETWEEN the mounting face and INNER rim if you want to reduce the backspace.

Cost? You'll have to ask the companies that do it. Those kinds of mods aren't done very often. In my opinion you'd be MUCH better off buying a MUCH lighter aluminum wheel that has the width and backspace you desire.

Thanks for the links guys. I'll be checking with both of those vendors to see if they can either modify to fit or even custom make the wheels that I'm looking for. You've given me another avenue to persue!

HISSIN50 said:
Andy, I think the place Bernie linked to did some work for a 94-95 owner and he posted a thread about the experience with pics.

EDIT, here is the thread (obviously for widening, but you can see the welding):

http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=365894

Good luck bud.
:Word: Good find detective LOL! That's the thread I first found out about Weldcraft. I plan on narrowing my front bullits by 3 inches when extra money allows.