Wheel/Tire for 1972 fastback - First Post

72machone

Aug 13, 2005
I have been given a 72 fastback. On my first ride the front passenger tire's belt seperated. The tires are old and tired so my plan is to change all four but here is my dilema. The tires it has are on the stock wheel/hubcab combo and I was wondering about buying magnum 500s or simple larger/wider steel wheels and using those without any hubcaps. What size wheels are favored by those who own this car? I have seen some photos on the net of this car with really wide tires in the back.

• Sponsors (?)

One of my early Mustang cars happens to be a real 71 351 Boss Mustang with the Pro-Touring treatment (installed a Mach1 gas cap). I have 17x8 in front with 255/45/17's and 17x9.5 rear with 275/40/17's. They fit nice and never rub. You can go larger a bit in the rear both in tire size and rim diameter. Here are some pics..

Thanks for the quick response

Do you have any detail shots of your wheel well? Id like to see how much gap you have. also what tires are you running?

Please chime in on this is you have a relevent bodied pony Id like to have as much information as possible.

I had not touched wheels and tires because I figure this would be a good area to begin a long term slow build. My plans were to install a fresh suspension from laurelmountainmustang. then wait for a while while replenishing funds. Install front and rear disc brakes with the proper brake system setup from with SSBC, Baer, or Wilwood. Save Save Save. Get some proper wheels and tires. Obviously this plan is shot with my current tire situation which is forcing me to attend to that first.

Further Questions:

Comment on Suspension kits if you have installed them
Drum to Disc conversion which company do you recommend? why?
What should I worry about if I am buying new wheels but plan to change to disc brakes shortly as far as clearanace/backspace/bolt pattern?

I have three Mustangs, all heavily modified to PT style, so whats good for me may not be for you. The Boss 351 has complete ft/rr suspension from Global West, rollerized perches, subframe connectors, 13" ft rotors by Baer, reinforced chassis, ect..you get the picture. Global West suspension stuff is not very expensive but much more than oem type stuff. You can buy the cheap Laurel Mountain stuff, but plan to reinforce the arms with plates to avoid flex. If you don't do much HP driving, start with poly in the swaybars and links, roller perches, weld plates to your existing arms, shelby drop, ect. These are many low cost upgrades that will have a favorable impact on your driving experience.

When changing to discs from drums, you usually only worry about backspacing. Some kits increase the track width and push the tires outward and can cause rubbing depending on your tire size.

Stick with name brand brake kits if you do not have the experience to piece together less expensive alternatives and fab brackets. Wilwood and Baer are a good high performance choice, Wilwood tend to be less expensive than Baer but just as good. There are so many other less expensive choices. www.vintagevenom.com is one of so many and friends have used them with good results.

Here are a couple of more pics for high performance inspiration (351Boss stroked to 393.)

ok i will jump in a bit i have a 73 mach but anyways im putting 15 mags on mine just like the smaller rims and plus i live in maine very bumpy.. im planning on 15x8's up front with 15x10's in the back.... 4musclemachines what do you recomend doing to a 71-73 stang stock suspension which with a 500 horse clevland????? because im going to spend some money on upgrading my suspension and brakes but i dont want to spend more than $2,500