When should I change oil on new engine???

1FatPony

Jun 5, 2005
Just put my new engine about a week ago and so far it has about 100-150 miles on it. I am not sure when I am suppose to change the oil again. I have heard 10 miles, 100 miles, 500 miles.

• Sponsors (?)

DMAN302 said:
Right away...500 miles and 1500, after that regular intervals, at least that's my opinion.

run it for 500.. local miles, change oil.. then 500 more.. then after you put the 1000 total miles on it.. change every three months or 3,000 miles.. i had a rod knock in my grand prix and had it rebuilt.. well i was goin to spring break in florida and the mechanic said not to think about it untill you got 1k miles and changed the oil twice... so me and my buddys did alot of local driving to get the new engine broke in.. we put 1k miles on it in like a week! thats what he told me and said it would apply for all cars.. so im sharing my info with you!!

Really up to you..every 'break-in" style will differ as will oil change intervals, parts, etc. Really the only thing that people can't bicker over is to keep the oil clean and use the best possible filter available. I will say the first 50-100 mile oil change is something I like to do on a new motor, I want to confirm she's up and running, but I also want the debris from the build and initial run out of the mill relatively quickly.

when i got the 347 put in my truck....my engine builder told me to put 500 on it, change the oil and bring him the filter. he cut it open, no metal shavings, told me to give it hell and thats what i done lol. he did tell me to change it at 1000 and inspect the oil. then go to 3000 intervals