where did you guys mount your elec. fan switches?

• Sponsors (?)

On the 94 (SN like Justin has) I made a plate that goes in the ashtray.

On a fox, the ashtray switch panel is still a nice option. You can also do switches under the upper driver side console (where it overhangs the lower front facing facia).

I have seen guys put them under the center console too. The foxes have a lot more places for them than SN's.

You could do a nice panel under the radio too, of you have a DIN sized radio.

Check out Alan's panels if you want something custom and to :drool:

Good luck.

I got on of those ashtray switch things.
th_PCDV0057.jpg

One Fast, what is Kydex and where do you get it (it sounds like something you need a cream to get rid of. :lol: )?

On my last acrylic switch panel, I used a paint can with a clogged nozzle so it would come out with a wrinkle finish, and it was a pain.

I had laid down stencilled letters before painting. After paint, the letters came off so there were clear letter outlines. At night, the ashtray light shows through the letters so I can see what the switches are for. Anyhow, the wriinkle finish paint and the smooth letter outline didnt look quite right. The Kydex sounds like it might work well. :nice:

Their site clearly explains, "KYDEX® sheet products are extremely durable thermoplastic alloys extruded in a range of colors, patterns, textures, thicknesses and grades by Kleerdex Company." Yup.. makes sense to me! :notnice: + fart noise

I mounted my switch just ahead of the ashtray door where there's that little gap before the shifter plate, since there was already a hole there.

I've got a thermostatic switch... adjustable from 160-210 that you could use. For me when I do mine, I'm just going to splice into the A/C compressor's power line since I took all my A/C stuff out.. it'll just activate that fan.

Oh cool, thanks for the info on where to order it. I thought you got it at the home store or a hobby shop or something like that (why I asked where you got it. I'm not so lazy as to not do an internet search). I will say that I personally dont know what extruded thermoplastic alloys are on a composition level. ;)

I will check it out.

Thanks.

Ummm why are you guys using switches? I ditched mine. :notnice:

Use a temp sensor and a relay. You can set it to what temp you want it to kick on. Everything's at Advance, I payed like $40 or so I think.

HoodStrype said:

Use a temp sensor and a relay. You can set it to what temp you want it to kick on. Everything's at Advance, I payed like $40 or so I think.

so you can kill it when you want. or forget to turn it on and burn everything up

HoodStrype said:

I use mine as a fan over-ride so it will work off the t-stat or when im at the track i flick the fan over-ride to keep the car cool in the lanes.

It would be my lack of faith in the controller that would make me want a switch (I install them on cars with controllers, as a back-up of sorts).

And a Dc Controller would be the best way to control things with a controller.

Personally, I would have more faith in the controller working properly than in my brain remembering to flip a switch. A backup would be nice though.
Also, I do like the switch panel I have mounted in the ashtray. Close the door and the switches disappear.

Kydex seems a little overkill, but I did not see the price. Cheaper stuff like abs, etc should be available in the surface finish we would want. I have not looked for any, but if I did, I would look here.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?SISHNO=909034&SISRCH=1&SIS0NO=199939&SIT4NO=5002751

jason