Where does Ford go after the 05?

Stallion96Vert

Jul 6, 2004
So I say we all can pretty much agree the 05 is an awesome mustang. But a question on my mind, and some of my friends minds is: What happens after the S197 body style? At first I thought that could change the way the headlights look, like they did in the 60's, but with the cobra obviously using that, I doubt they will now. Anyone have an opinion of where the design of the mustang will go next??

• Sponsors (?)

Hopefully Ford will go to the proctologist and get their head out of their ass and learn how to get these awesome cars into the peoples hand who are waiting to by one or maybe sending them south and letting them sit on the lot works for the feeble minds in charge.

They have a lot of room to grow while maintaining the "heritage" angle. Compare the GT 500 or concept car to the GT's and V6's and you can see that they could get a lot "meaner" looking, just like they did back in the day. 67-68's looked tougher than 65-66. Same with 69-70. I feel pretty confident that they'll avoid the previous mistakes by not letting the car get too bulky like they did in 71-73. So maybe one or two "touch up" reskins like the one they did in 99, and that'll easily buy Ford another decade of Mustang design. By that time, a whole new design aesthetic may exist, and that'll open the door to reinvent again. :)

Then maybe I'll have to get a 2015 Mustang to go with the 66 and 05. ;)

(this seems more talk than tech, but whatever)

Stallion96Vert said:
So I say we all can pretty much agree the 05 is an awesome mustang. But a question on my mind, and some of my friends minds is: What happens after the S197 body style? At first I thought that could change the way the headlights look, like they did in the 60's, but with the cobra obviously using that, I doubt they will now. Anyone have an opinion of where the design of the mustang will go next??
There going to make a retro Mustang 2, or they could copy the mid 70's stang that would be sick also. :rlaugh:

I don't know why some people seem to think that since the current Stang is a "retro" style (love the car, hate the word), they've brought themselves to a dead-end with styling for future models. Even though this one is "retro", the sky is still the limit for the next one--there is no predetermined styling progression they are obliged to follow.

If sales fall off and people lose interest in the retro thing, all they have to do is change some of the sheet metal, and abracadabra, they've got a whole "new" Stang.

The Mustang will need to be freshened up by 2010 or 2011. I also have wondered whats next. the 69-71's looked pretty badass, but after that the Mustang werent very pretty for a long time. For seems content with this retro thing, but I hoped they learned from the Tbird, after a few years, people want a 'new' car that looks like a new car. I think this platform will be around for a long time, its the only small car RWD chassis they got. Hopefully ten years from now the Mustang will be brand new, not a retro anything...

Safety and looks for the roll bar. They may not flip too often, but I'd feel a lot better knowing there was at least something to help me from loosing my head in the case of a serious accident...no fault of my own, of course. If they could make the show car bar functional, that would be great - maybe get another set of speakers in there as well, just like a jeep.

66 BLAKE 96 said:
Too good. They should've gone clean-sheet with the 94, IMO.

(No I'm not bashing SN95 cars, hell I've owned 2)

Actually, they did go clean sheet in the 80's. But the result was a front wheel drive 6 banger that was eventually sold as the Probe. Ford released the concept and was flooded with nastygrams from so many Mustang fans that they sold the car under another name and had to start all over again. Thank God!!

Right now I'd say Ford is spending most of its energy trying to figure out how it is going to keep from going bankrupt instead of worrying about how to style the next Mustang.

You better get used to the S197 design because other than some minor styling updates the 2005 style Mustang is going to be with us for a LOOOOONG time (at least 10 years).

It will be the same thing Ford has done with the Mustang for a long time.

Every few years they add a few options, redo the interior slightly, change stereo system setups, add a couple subtle exterior mods, change the colors, add new wheel options...the usual with any car.