Where To Begin?

Lost 65 Owner

Jun 29, 2007
We inherited a 1965 Mustang Hardtop from my inlaws that passed away recently. The car was bought by my father in law some 25 or more years ago as a restoration project. For whatever reason, my father in law dur to illnes and other family issues never got around to restoring this car. The car hold some sentimental value to my wife.

This car is in pretty rough shape. It has in a sense been sitting in a garage for over 25 years un-attended. I imagine it had a good deal of work to be done on it way back when he bought it. It looks all original. It has that inline 6 cylinder motor. I was hoping it had the 289, but no dice.

We had the car transported to our home, which arrived today. Frankly, I am not sure where to start. My wife would like to have it restored, but isn't in any hurry to do so.

From a classic Mustang perspective, is it a no-no to change something like the engine or is that something that should remain the same? My initial thought would be to just put a new/rebuilt engine in the car. Sometimes starting fresh is easier and less expensive that trying to rebuild.

Are there any online guides on where to start a project like this? A Classic Mustang Restoration For Dummies, if you will. :rlaugh:

Any ideas or comments or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks...

• Sponsors (?)

You're asking some questions with no clear answers. First-where to start depends on what needs to be done and what you want done. We picked a corner and started there. We had A LOT of body work to do (and we arent done yet).

Is it a no-no to change things? Well, that's personal opinion really. Do you want a concours car, a driver? Do you even know if it's all 100% original as it is? Some people will tell you a completely correct resto is the only way to go. but in the end, it's your car. I6's and v8's have some differences-if you're looking to put an 8cyl in there, do a search on the forums for some thoughts on this. Our 73 isn't going to be a resto, it's going to be more of a restomod. But we'll have the car we want-and since it was in pretty poor shape it's not like we hacked a nice original car or something.

My best advice if you aren't in a hurry-pull up a chair and get to reading these forums. Assess what you have, what you want, what has to be done, when you want it done, and how much money you can/want to invest.

First thing I'd do is find a local Mustang guy, try car shows and have him take an unbiased look at it if you can.
Someone who knows these cars might be able to tell you if it's even worth savimg. I know that sounds sac religious but If there's major structural decay...

Not likely as it's spent most of it's life in a garage:nice:

If it's a 6-banger car, it's really not worth any more stock that it is with a V8 engine swap. So I'd think hard about putting a fuel injected engine (and transmission) for a 5.0L doner car.

To be honest, the biggest hurtle is the rust/body work. I'd start there...

Like everyone is saying, first come up with a plan on how you want the car to be finished. Then get the body done, then the mechanicals, then the details.

Soooooooooooooooo many choices!

This site is a great place to let us spend your money!