• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine Which fan clutch ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter AnthonyA1234
  • Start date Start date Jun 22, 2026

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Jun 22, 2026
#1
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • #1
I’m constantly replacing fan clutches in my car they always start whining and being super loud after like 3 or 4 months and showing reduced engine and AC cooling at idle. I’ve tried heavy duty and standard duty both sucked for me although standard seemed to be quieter at first till it went bad.

Which should I be buying standard or heavy duty? I just want something that’s quiet and actually lasts.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,685
213
polk county florida
Jun 22, 2026
#2
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • #2
I'd be concerned about why they are failing, most last for decades.
 
Reactions: slow84lx, Shakerhood and DadLife0724

AnthonyA1234

5 Year Member
Aug 17, 2020
674
111
63
Florida
Jun 22, 2026
#3
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • #3
General karthief said:
I'd be concerned about why they are failing, most last for decades.
Click to expand...
I thought that as well, what would cause that? It could very well be my water pump pulley /bearing cause I haven’t changed that is that the main culprit?
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,685
213
polk county florida
Jun 22, 2026
#4
  • Jun 22, 2026
  • #4
Sure sounds good, no not really, I would be suspect poorly made parts but I don't have have hands on soooo,
Does it overheat?
What part number/brand part?
 

nicholase

I lubed and pushed, until it was all the way in
May 21, 2024
653
1,171
103
New York
Jun 25, 2026
#5
  • Jun 25, 2026
  • #5
I tried both types. The HD one was crazy loud all the time. By loud I mean the fan was being driven all the time. Sounded like a UPS truck.

I'm currently using the standard replacement. I got it from LMR. No problems with it. Is it leaking? They usually have printed on the box which way it should be shelved (stored). The fluid can leak out past the seal if its stored face up. Did the box look oily and damp?
 

nickyb

I gotta say i never painted my nuts, Never Ever
15 Year Member
Apr 3, 2009
3,028
1,659
163
nevada
Jun 25, 2026
#6
  • Jun 25, 2026
  • #6
Ftw go electric, I've had the flexalite Black magic extreme fan on my daily driven 93lx for 19 years so far.
Oh by the way I live on the surface of the sun( nevada)
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,685
213
polk county florida
Jun 25, 2026
#7
  • Jun 25, 2026
  • #7
I have the stock clutch fan stuff on mine but I really like the clean and (reasonable ly) quieter electric fans.
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,059
10,685
213
polk county florida
Jun 25, 2026
#8
  • Jun 25, 2026
  • #8
Wait, is it possible the clutch was standard rotation?
I would think they a directional
 
Reactions: AeroCoupe

Qtrhrse23

Active Member
Jul 2, 2024
78
29
28
Texas
Aug 21, 2026
#9
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #9
Get yourself a Hayden 2723. Thats a non SSP unit so it will be quieter. I was never a fan of switching to electric, doesnt cool as well unless you get the perfect setup. And then it taxes the vatt/alt.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 21, 2026
#10
  • Aug 21, 2026
  • #10
Qtrhrse23 said:
Get yourself a Hayden 2723. Thats a non SSP unit so it will be quieter. I was never a fan of switching to electric, doesnt cool as well unless you get the perfect setup. And then it taxes the vatt/alt.
Click to expand...
When you're sitting in traffic, how fast is that clutch fan spinning?

Electric fans wired properly with a good alternator don't tax the batt/alt. There's a reason new vehicles use electric fans.

If you're in a cooler climate they may work fine but not here in Satan's backyard.
 

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,163
4,255
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#11
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #11
I tried the HD clutch when I lived in SW Oklahoma as the standard clutch wasn’t cutting it and the HD struggled to keep up with a 3 core brass radiator (the old Godan unit from AutoZone) and a good factory fan and shroud.

Moved to a Mark VIII and DCC controller and zero issues. Later on I installed a big two core aluminum radiator due to the brass unit failing and repairing it was more than the aluminum one. Runs just as cool today as it did then.
 
Reactions: General karthief

Qtrhrse23

Active Member
Jul 2, 2024
78
29
28
Texas
Aug 22, 2026
#12
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #12
fasterthangas said:
When you're sitting in traffic, how fast is that clutch fan spinning?

Electric fans wired properly with a good alternator don't tax the batt/alt. There's a reason new vehicles use electric fans.

If you're in a cooler climate they may work fine but not here in Satan's backyard.
Click to expand...
As far as them failing, Ive seen it. BUT I NEVER had to replace one. Ive logged 400K miles AT LEAST(prolly 500K) fox body miles, never had to replace. In 3 different foxes.

Im in Texas, Six feet above hell(ex father in law).

Depends on the temp. If car is cold, its BARELY turning. If its hot(engine), its close to locked. Its the shroud that makes the difference is air THROUGH RADIATOR.

Yea electrics come with, but compare it to the one it replaces.

I Agree about the electric fans, BUT THE SHROUD ON NEWER CARS IS BUILT AROUNG THE ELECTRIC FANS. Like the clutch fan on a fox is built around the clutch fan. CHECK IT. Max temp WILL BE LOWER WITH CLUTCH FAN THAN ELECTRIC. I dont care if you have electrics on blasting from before cranking. Stuck in traffic you will see. Build a nice shroud around the fans, THEN YOU GOT ME. Until then...

Its just one of those "mods" that IMO isnt worth it. Does it make it faster? Better? Worth it? Not for me. But I CANT SPEAK FOR EVERYONE.
 
Last edited: Aug 22, 2026

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,163
4,255
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#13
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #13
100% agree on the shroud. That and the side air deflectors and the air deflector under the radiator support.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 22, 2026
#14
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #14
My electric fans have a shroud.
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 22, 2026
#15
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #15
 
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 22, 2026
#16
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #16
I've had clutch fans on numerous classic vehicles. My '66 F100 with a 7 blade clutch fan and shroud from a 70's Ford truck along with a 3 row Modine "Desert Cooler" brass and copper radiator, would overheat in the summer. City driving in the Phoenix heat was just too much. It couldn't cool down at traffic stops. The clutch fan was never running at 100%. The only thing close to running 100% was a HD clutch fan that was louder than heck.
I installed a Chrysler 300C dual electric fan on it and no more overheating. Instantly cured.

I went through the same with my Fox Body. When I installed the 347, I could not keep it cool. I couldn't run the a/c. Once I installed the Contour fans, all was great.

When Ron Davis builds a custom radiator for hot rods that can't stay cool in the Phoenix heat, he installs Maradyne electric fans. Depending on the year of the classic vehicle, they came from the factory with either a mechanical fan or clutch fan.

There is no doubt that properly set up electric fans outperform clutch fans on our cars.

I'll add to this. Electric fans on newer cars shut off at highway speeds unless the a/c is on. Why is that? The spinning fan actually blocks much of the incoming air through the radiator at highway speeds.

In cooler climates than Phoenix and Vegas, one might get away with a clutch fan. The application also dictates what works.

This reminds me of the old beliefs that:

A cooler thermostat makes the engine run cooler.

You need to slow the coolant flow down so it sits in the radiator longer.

"My car runs at 180° all of the time" as if the engine will melt if it hits one degree higher.
 
Reactions: Potomus Pete

AeroCoupe

lube between the nut and the face. I know my lubes
Founding Member
Oct 28, 2001
6,163
4,255
183
Claremore, OK
Aug 22, 2026
#17
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #17
fasterthangas said:
"My car runs at 180° all of the time" as if the engine will melt if it hits one degree higher.
Click to expand...
About drown myself in a cold beer mid drink laugh on that one.
 

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
43,410
21,615
234
Box behind Walmart
Aug 22, 2026
#18
  • Aug 22, 2026
  • #18
My clutch fan clears the driveway of leaves at idle after pulling through a 3-core and condenser.

I think I'll be ok.

If I ever did electric, I'd probably go for one of the newer brushless versions. Otherwise, the Mark VIII fans are the only ones that really come close to moving that air through the cores.

I would swap if I needed the room and/or more precise control.
 
Reactions: Potomus Pete
F

fasterthangas

Active Member
Oct 5, 2016
276
83
38
Phoenix
Aug 23, 2026
#19
  • Aug 23, 2026
  • #19
The brushless fans are definitely nice. My fans are dual SPAL's. They suck in small birds. I originally installed them when I had a 3" intercooler up front. That combo had a 2.5" radiator core, condenser and 3" intercooler. I could literally put a red shop rag on the front of the intercooler at idle and the suction would hold it there. Not bragging but it was impressive.
 
Reactions: General karthief

Mustang5L5

That is…until I whipped out my Bissell
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
43,340
18,069
224
Massachusetts
Sep 19, 2026
#20
  • Sep 19, 2026
  • #20
fasterthangas said:
My electric fans have a shroud.
Click to expand...


Same. Fits like a glove and keeps the car cool with the ac on.

Not knocking the simplicity of the fan clutch setup, but e-fans can be set up to be pretty darn reliable and efficient. I don’t even have my fan set to be on most of the time. Above 40mph it’s off.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1504.webp
    527.4 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: General karthief
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Engine Standard or hi flow water pump?
  • AnthonyA1234
  • Sep 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
16
Views
274
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Yesterday at 12:37 PM
2000xp8
Engine Where can I buy a non heavy duty fan clutch? HD is too loud
  • AnthonyA1234
  • May 15, 2024
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
946
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 16, 2024
limp
New Member with a 1992
  • Clutchfork
  • Oct 18, 2025
  • The Welcome Wagon
Replies
5
Views
386
The Welcome Wagon Oct 19, 2025
Clutchfork
K
Engine 2000 Mustang GT - Fuel issue post-blown spark plug repair
  • kenster1092
  • Feb 26, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
4
Views
468
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Mar 10, 2026
kenster1092
K
W
High Cylinder Head Temp - Not Overheating?
  • wtfwork12
  • Jun 26, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
9
Views
2K
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- Jul 1, 2025
wtfwork12
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?