Engine Which fuel rail do I need

Mr.Kelley

Aug 9, 2019
San Diego Ca
I'm putting a 5.0/AOD in my 62 Falcon. I have an explorer intake on a stock non HO motor. I'm running it on an A9L ECU with a Painless harness. The donor 2000ish explorer was a returnless system that I believe the A9L will not support. The original fuel rail for the engine is not going to work, snorkel on the driver side, regulator hits the plenum. Will a Mustang fuel rail fit or do I need to find an earlier Explorer.

• Sponsors (?)

the 2k explorer has the fuel pressure regulator mounted in the fuel tank. You can keep the rail you have and simply mount the fuel pressure regulator next to the fuel tank so only one line runs up front. Thats how I have mine ran.

Did you run a vacuum line to the regulator. I forgot to mention I have the fuel pump/regulator assembly out of the exploder. If I'm understanding the systems correctly I believe the vacuum line goes to manifold vac. Higher vacuum (idle) lowers fuel pressure by dumping fuel to the return line or slowing the fuel pump down on a returnless. Lower vac at WOT increase fuel pressure. The A9L does not modulate fuel pump speed so I might not be able to use the explorer pump, or can I use that pump with the external regulator.

no i do not run a reference vac line but you should. If your boosted it will be required.

The fuel pressure regulators job is to maintain the same delta pressure for varying manifold preassures so your INJECTION pressure is constant and doesn't vary.

without the vac line hooked up your fuel pres as viewed on a gauge will be constant but your INJECTION pres will vary with manifold pressure. I have a write up on my website that goes in to detail if your interested in knowing more.

It doesnt pose a problem as the o2 sensors can correct for the error.

the stock fox fuel system is controlled by the pcm 100% identical to the explorer. The explorer does not run a true returnless and it cannot regulate pump speed either.

If you can fab up the explorer setup in your tank that wi

Thanks I hate buying stuff twice. I will be modifying the Falcon tank to accept the explorer fuel pump set up. I assume I can run the explorer fuel rail with the vacuum line connected and have no issues or CEL. I won't be running an EGR or thermactor system. I am told by JBA that they have a work around for those items.