Whine From Gas Tank Area

Dave Maher

Nov 9, 2012
I just bought this '94 and am in the process of fixing problems. I have a whine coming from the gas tank area. I thought for sure it was the fuel pump which was outside the tank. Then I looked at me repair manual (new) and see that this is a filter. I would swear the sound comes from it. Could it be an air leak ? The car runs well, but I want to solve this problem.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

Well your fuel pump is in the tank, and the whining is from the fuel pump, mine does it when the rpms are low and its starting to bog down going up a hill and needs to downshift or when it has shifted into overdrive and im not giving it a whole lot of gas because im at the cruising speed i want to be at. Not sure if this is supposed to happen but when i bought my car the pump had to be replaced and its done this ever since so it might be an announce we have to live with. i doubt air leak also because i would imagine it would throw a code plus it only does it when its under load and needs to downshift for me

Thanks for the heads up. The more I listen to it I think it is coming from the pump. Car still runs well. Can anyone else give me info on how long it might last, or should I replace it NOW !!! My whine is all the time.

Dave