Drivetrain Whirling/tapping under passenger floorboard

Hybrid707

Feb 26, 2020
California
Hello, I have a 95 5.0 that I recently swapped the transmission in. Transmission shifts like butter with and without using clutch but there is a metallic whirling/tapping coming from under the passenger floorboard. The noise is not audible at idle or if revved and does not change if the clutch pedal is pressed or not, seems to only make noise when the car is moving or on decel. Today while coasting in neutral I turned the car off and the whirling/tapping was very audible since the motor was off which leads me to think it’s not the transmission or pp/fw set up. Anyone have any suggestions on things to check before I drop the tranny ?

• Sponsors (?)

Bump, the only way to get the metal tapping (sounds like someone hitting a fence pole with a screwdriver) to go away while coasting is to push the shifter slightly against a gate for a gear with the clutch in. Other than that brakes, pedal and rpm do not affect the noise

So for clarity, in the video you were stopped in neutral and turned off the engine and the noise/rattle decreased in frequency after engine off?

So for clarity, in the video you were stopped in neutral and turned off the engine and the noise/rattle decreased in frequency after engine off?
Sorry I should have written it better but I was coasting in neutral (the sound is only present when coasting in neutral) and turned the car off while still coasting and the noise was unchanged and the vibrations through the shifter were still there. The tapping goes away if I come to a complete stop, put it against a gear or give it throttle while in gear. When I moved the shifter I was demonstrating how touching a gate for a gear stops the rattle instantly

Bump, the only way to get the metal tapping (sounds like someone hitting a fence pole with a screwdriver) to go away while coasting is to push the shifter slightly against a gate for a gear with the clutch in. Other than that brakes, pedal and rpm do not affect the noise
Did you bend the separator plate that goes between the bell housing and block?