White smoke, leaking oil, weird noise??

Heres the deal. My 95 GT was making a weird noise comming from under the hood after i replaced my stock midpipe w/ a mac OR H pipe. I bypassed my smog pump with a new belt using a diagram i found here. The noise sounded like a bearing was shot in the waterpump so I replaced the pump last night. Tonight i fired up the car and it was making white smoke from the exhaust. As i was looking under the hood, i noticed a pool of oil on thetop right side of the waterpump, this was dry when i changed the pump the other night. The car is still making a noise like a bearing is shot. Any ideas??

• Sponsors (?)

ok

the only way on our cars to get oil on the top of the water pump is for it to come down from either the distributor which i doubt, or the lower intake seal. you could get some from the valve covers but i think you would notice those. as far as the white smoke, start doing a compression test on all the cylinders cause sounds like a head gasket is taking a turn for the worst. check the idler pulley right above the water pump. i know when mine went bad it sounded like a blower under the hood. hope this helps.

Sounds like the lower intake gasket is bad...this could easily lead to two of your symptoms:

1. Oil leaking into the engine compartment.

2. White smoke coming out of the exahust (caused by coolant getting into the intake ports).

hmmm, the head gaskets I replaced less than 2 years ago and were fine until the other night. The waterpump did not take much prying to get off at all so i really dont know why that would affect my lower intake seal. my temperatire is also not getting higher than normal and there is no coolant in my oil.

Start simple and work up from there. Let the engine cool, then check all your bolts and do a careful visual inspection.

I had a billowing white cloud of smoke at WOT on the way to work yesterday. Needless to say, I spent the whole day thinking I had a blown head gasket. Turns out the valve cover screws had come loose, and oil went splashing down on the header (hence cloud of white smoke).

Since you just swapped the water pump, I would start there, and anything you may have moved while working on that.

jeffputts said:
hmmm, the head gaskets I replaced less than 2 years ago and were fine until the other night. The waterpump did not take much prying to get off at all so i really dont know why that would affect my lower intake seal. my temperatire is also not getting higher than normal and there is no coolant in my oil.

No, but prying on the water pump might have loosened the timing cover gasket. That is the only other thing that I could think of that leaks oil besides the intake and the heads.

And since it just happened after you swapped water pumps, that is why I was thinking that. The timing cover still has 4 bolts at the bottom that don't go through the water pump, but they are at the very bottom, so I thought you might have broke the seal at the top of the timing cover.
Scott